|This article is about the the Imperial Navy vessel. For other uses of Firestorm, see Firestorm (disambiguation).|
The Firestorm is a variant of the Sword Class Frigate, designed to link the speed and manoeuvrability of an escort, with the bite of a lance vessel. The systems utilized to power the Sword's laser weapons battery have been reconfigured to power the single prow-mounted lance of the Firestorm.
It is not uncommon to see a squadron of Firestorms supporting independent squadrons of Swords and Cobra Class Destroyers. In situations like these, it falls to the Firestorms to deal damage to capital ships, and rival escorts once the other two classes have lowered the enemy's shields. Firestorm Class Frigates are often seen fighting alongside Space Marine formations. Pirate fleets are known to operate Firestorm Frigates as well.
- Dimensions: 1.8 km long, 0.3 km abeam at fins (approx)
- Mass: 6 megatonnes (approx)
- Crew: 25,000 crew (approx)
- Acceleration: 4.4 gravities maximum sustainable acceleration
Notable Firestorm Squadrons
- 1: Battlefleet Gothic Rulebook, pg. 113
- 2: Imperial Armour Volume Three - The Taros Campaign, [Needs Citation]
- 3: Battlefleet Gothic Magazine Issue 7, pgs. 18–23
- 4: Rogue Trader Core Rulebook, pg. 202
- 5: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada (Video Game)
- 6: Vessels of Mars: Ships of the Adeptus Mechanicus, by Nate Montes, Robert Henderson and Ray Bell