|This article is about the weapon; for the Daemon, see Flamer (Daemon).|
Flamers (or flame-guns) are a basic type of Flame weapons, used by several races and armies.
Flamers unleash a liquid incendiary chemical, usually promethium, that bursts into flame as it leaves the weapon. They are valued for their ability to destroy many enemies at once, regardless of any protective cover. Both flamers and the more compact hand flamers are considered assault weapons due to their relatively short range. Imperial and Chaos Space Marine flamers fire a mix of highly volatile liquid chemicals which are ignited by a pilot light at the weapon's muzzle. The flaming chemical sticks to its target and continues burning of its own accord - those who are not killed instantly die horribly as the super-hot chemical continues to burn.[Needs Citation]
Flamers are an invaluable tactical choice in conditions where spotting the enemy is difficult due to dense terrain (such as jungles), during urban fights and bunker assaults. Flamers are particularly effective in breaking the cycle of Ork infestation by destroying the spores exuded by the corpses.[Needs Citation]
- More fanatic adherents of the Imperial Creed employ flamers against mutants and heretics as the weapon's flames are seen to cleanse sin and impurity from body and soul alike.[Needs Citation]
- It is the preferred weapon of the more fervent worshipers of the Emperor such as the fanatical Red Redemptionists and the associated Fanatics of the House of Cawdor of Necromunda.[Needs Citation]
- Among the Adepta Sororitas, as a purifying weapon, the flamer has a prominent function and for a Sister to be entrusted with one is a great honour.[Needs Citation]
- The Salamanders Chapter make wide use of flamers and melta weapons due to their preference for close-ranged combat.[Needs Citation]
- The Catachan regiments of the Imperial Guard are often deployed to areas of heavy jungle, where enemies can make as much use of the ever present cover as the Catachans themselves. Accordingly flamers and heavy flamers are especially valued by the Catachans for their ability to rob the enemy of the benefit of the terrain.
- Troops of the Adeptus Mechanicus use a more advanced version of the flamer known as the Cognis Flamer. This weapon is equipped with a Machine Spirit that continue to fire even when its wielder is distracted.
- Among the Eldar, flamers are used by Fire Dragon Exarchs, Storm Guardians and Wraithlords.
- Tau Crisis Battlesuits may use flamers as well as large Phased Plasma-Flamers.
- 1: Warhammer 40,000: Wargear, [Needs Citation]
- 2: Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader, pg. 77
- 3: Codex: Cult Mechanicus (7th Edition) - Weapons of Enlightenment
- 4: The Horus Heresy Book Three - Extermination, pg. 67
- 5: Imperial Armour Volume Four - The Anphelion Project, pg. 37
- 6: Imperial Armour Volume Ten - The Badab War: Part Two, pg. 128
- 7: Imperial Armour Volume Eleven - The Doom of Mymeara, pgs. 116-117
- 8: Imperial Armour Volume Nine - The Badab War: Part One, pg. 120
- 9: Imperial Armour Volume Eight - Raid on Kastorel-Novem, pg. 140
- 10: Dark Heresy: The Inquisitor's Handbook, pg. 160
- 11: Necromunda: House of Artifice, pgs. 110-111
- 12: Warhammer 40,000 6th Edition Rulebook, pg. 55
- 13: Codex: Tyranids (5th Edition), pg. 49
- 14: Codex: Necrons (5th Edition), pg. 81
- 15: Codex: Necrons (7th Edition) — Artefacts of the Aeons
- 16: Forgeworld Tau XV109 Y'Vhara Battlesuit (archived 3/23/2021) (last accessed 3/23/2021)
- 17: Honour Guard (Novel) — The Saint (Omnibus), Chapter Ten
|Portable||Imperial Flamer • Fire Pike • Brazier of Holy Fire • Exterminator • Hand Flamer • Combi-Flamer • Flamestorm Gauntlet • Incendine Combustor • Warpflame Weapon|
|Heavy||Heavy flamer • Incendium Firepike • Incinerator • Atalan Incinerator • Flamestorm Cannon • Inferno cannon • Inferno gun • Incendium Cannon|
|Xenos||Ork Flame Weapons • Eldar Flamer • Dragon Breath Flamer • Tau Flamer • Phased Plasma-Flamer • Gauntlet of Fire • Flamespurt|