Forge World (company)
Forge World is a subcompany of Games Workshop Inc. that creates models outside of the normal auspices of Games Worshop. It is a company similar to Black Enterprises and Warp Artefacts, dedicated to creating high quality, exotic miniatures for passionate gamers.
Forge World was created in 1998, the Brainchild of John Stallard and headed by Paul Robins, the man responsible for the original Thunderhawk Gunship. It was announced to the public in the same edition of White Dwarf as the 3rd Edition of Warhammer 40,000. Forge World was originally created to design Warhammer Terrain (hence the name) and limited edition, large scale collectors edition models. Since then Forge World has expanded to create variant vehicles, large scale titans, accessory sets for various armies and even their own small forces, notably the Elysian Drop Troops Imperial Guard released in 2005. Forge World has become one of the most loved assets of Games Workshop among veteran gamers and has recently been drawn closer to the core company to better allow for cross-pollination of ideas.
Forge World creates many different styles of model for different tastes. All Forge World models are made from Polymer Resin, a brittle but very light material that can be used to model extreme detail or, more rarely, etched brass, in the case of their barbed wire sheets and Imperial eagle icons.
- Imperial Armour is a series of Warhammer 40,000 vehicles and monstrous creatures for the various races. These represent exotic variants or extremely large vehicles that would be impractical in normal games of Warhammer. The Imperial Armor project also includes accessory and upgrade kits for vehicles and even some specially sculpted troops such as tank commanders for use within Forgeworld kits.
The Horus Heresy
- The Horus Heresy is a series of rules, scenarios, characters, and vehicles set roughly ten thousand years before Warhammer 40,000 in the Horus Heresy.
- Resin terrain, while quite expensive, is beautifully detailed and lovingly created by the Forge World sculptors. It includes everything from simple knee high walls to battlefield spanning fortresses and bases, bristling with weapons.
- These are large scale, superdetailed models that are usually about 12cm tall. They are the ultimate in collectors pieces for GW fanatics and are some of the most detailed models ever produced under the auspices of Games Workshop.
Specialist Games and Aeronautica Imperialis:
- In collaboration with Specialist Games, Forge World has created resin miniatures for the Epic, Battlefleet Gothic, Aeronautica Imperialis and Warmaster game systems.
Lord of the Rings:
- Forge World has created a single piece for Lord of the Rings - the Ruined Watchtower of Amon Sul (Weathertop)
Warhammer 40,000 Icons:
- Designed for use to add depth and detail to 40k forces or terrain.
- Forge World has created a variety of large-scale monsters for Warhammer, including huge dragons, Greater Daemons and a Giant.
- 1: Warhammer Community: Coming Soon Crucible of Retribution (posted 9/29/2020) (last accessed 9/29/2020)