Frag grenades (or fragmentation grenades) are small, anti-personnel grenades, exploding in a hail of thousands of tiny and deadly shards of metal, the effect being to deny an enemy the benefits of any cover as they are assaulted.
Construction and Detonation
Frag grenades are very simple in design and effect, consisting of a central explosive core with a fuse inserted and secured by a pin, wrapped in a steel casing. Upon detonation, irregular shards of the casing are propelled at high velocity into the nearby surrounding area. The casing is typically grooved, both to create more shrapnel upon detonation and to provide a secure grip.
Other Types of Anti-Personnel Grenades
- Plasma Grenades - Eldar and Dark Eldar
- Frag Stikkbombz - Orks
- Photon Grenades - Tau
- Flesh Hooks - Tyranids
- 1: Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader, pg. 91
- 2: The Imperial Infantryman's Handbook, pg. 66
- 3: Dark Heresy Rulebook, pg. 136
- 4: Dark Heresy: Shattered Hope, pg. 13
- 5: The Imperial Infantryman's Handbook, pg. 119