Horus Heresy: Age Of Darkness 1st Edition Rulebook
This book is a replacement to the 7th Edition Rulebook which was discontinued after the release of the Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition Rulebook. The previous FAQs for 7th edition were incorporated and the army construction section uses the Horus Heresy rules instead of the 7th edition standard. Some balance changes were made based on community feedback. For example, invisibility was replaced, while the usage of melta-bombs was changed.
The Horus Heresy: Age of Darkness is a tabletop game for two or more players, in which you command an army of Forge World (company) and Citadel Miniatures representing either those Loyalist forces who fight in the name of the Emperor or the Traitors who have chosen to side with Warmaster Horus. This 216-page hardback book provides you with all of the core rules and diagrams you will need to recreate and fight the wars of the Horus Heresy.
- Core Rules
- This section explains how to fight battles with your army during the civil war that tore apart the fledgling Imperium of Mankind. The core rules cover all of the basic principles of playing a game of The Horus Heresy: Age of Darkness, from moving your models across the battlefield and blasting your enemies with a hail of firepower, to slaying your foes in the brutal struggle of melee and obliterating your victims with forbidden and arcane psychic powers, including rules for summoning daemons.
- Unit Types
- This section explores all of the different unit types that describe your models. From footslogging Infantry and rampaging Monstrous Creatures to armoured battle tanks and supersonic Flyers, it lists all of the special rules that apply to these models. This section also includes rules to field the largest and most destructive units waging war on the battlefields of the Horus Heresy – Super-heavy Vehicles, Titans and Gargantuan Creatures – as well as detailing how heroic characters can lead your troops to victory.
- Battlefield Terrain
- The Battlefield Terrain section describes how to incorporate terrain into your games in order to recreate the battlefields of a war-ravaged galaxy. In addition to the rules describing the different terrain types, such as ruins, buildings and battlefield debris, this section also enables you to use Fortifications – towering edifices whose armoured battlements bristle with heavy weaponry.
- Preparing for Battle
- The Preparing for Battle section brings all the rules you have read so far together and takes you through the steps of getting ready for a game, beginning with a guide to forging a battle-ready army from your collection of miniatures. It also explains how to play a mission; from setting up the battlefield and deploying your forces to defining how long the game will last and determining who is the victor at the battle’s end. All of the special rules that are used in games of The Horus Heresy: Age of Darkness are also described in this section, including six different missions which represent the vast scope of the wars that were fought during the Horus Heresy.
- The Appendix contains a compendium of special rules, weapon profiles and psychic powers that are frequently referred to throughout this book, as well as in numerous other Forge World publications, such as the Army List books or Campaign books.
- The final section of this book contains a wealth of helpful quick reference material, such as a summary of the turn sequence and copies of various tables that can be found throughout this book, as well as a comprehensive index for the book itself. This section enables you to find the rule(s) you need during your games quickly and simply.
The various Horus Heresy books supplement and expand upon the core rules and provide the players with additional units, missions, battle zones and play styles.
- Campaign books (aka Black Books) focus on a particular Age of Darkness campaign and battles and include detailed background about the factions involved and rules to play those pivotal engagements.
- Army lists (aka Red Books) are reference books that provide detailed rules information for using armies of Space Marines, the Mechanicum, the Imperial Army and more.
- Book One - Betrayal - covers the events of the Battle of Isstvan III
- Book Two - Massacre - covers the events of the Drop Site Massacre
- Book Three - Extermination
- Book Four - Conquest
- Book Five - Tempest - covers the events of the Battle of Calth
- Book Six - Retribution - covers the events of the Shadow Wars
- Book Seven - Inferno - covers the events of the Burning of Prospero
- Book Eight - Malevolence - covers the events of the Chondax Campaign and the Signus Campaign
- Book Nine - Crusade - covers the events of the Thramas Crusade
- Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List
- Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List
- Mechanicum: Taghmata Army List
- Crusade Imperialis: Army Lists
- 1 : Warhammer Community : The Horus Heresy Rulebook: Pre-order on Friday (30/10/17) (saved archive, dated 09/07/19, last accessed 20/03/22)
- 2: Forge World webstore : The Horus Heresy: Age of Darkness Rulebook (saved archive, dated 21/01/21, last accessed 20/03/22)
- 3 : Horus Heresy: Age Of Darkness Rulebook pg 11
|The Horus Heresy: Age of Darkness Rulebook
|Betrayal • Massacre • Extermination • Conquest • Tempest • Retribution • Inferno • Malevolence • Crusade
|Crusade Army List (Isstvan Campaign Legions) • Age of Darkness Army List (Age of Darkness Legions)
|Betrayal at Calth • Burning of Prospero