Welcome to Warhammer 40k - Lexicanum! Log in and join the community.


From Warhammer 40k - Lexicanum
Jump to: navigation, search
Map Basic Data Planetary Image
px Name: Hubris Unknown.jpg
Segmentum: Segmentum Obscurus
Sector: Scarus Sector
Subsector: Helican Subsector
System: Unknown
Population: Unknown
Affiliation: Imperium
Class: Unknown
Tithe Grade: Unknown

Hubris is a planet located in the Helican Subsector, named for what was later judged as the foolhardiness of the colonists who founded a society there despite the planet's harsh climate.[1]


Founded at an unknown point in history, the original settlers had travelled to the world making use of cryogenic methods and techniques to get through the seventy year voyage. However, upon arriving in system they found to their dismay that they had been misled regarding the situation the planet was in - rather than a regular orbit and the standard season range this brought they were instead faced with a planet which spent a large amount of its existence swathed in ice. The planet was locked into an elliptical orbit around its sun which saw it icebound for eleven of the twenty-nine months in its solar cycle. Despite this the settlers decided to make the planet their home.[1]

In order to survive, the settlers stripped out the vast cryogenic chambers they had used during the long journey and installed them on the planet's surface. During the planet's eleven-month winter (aptly named "Dormant"), 99% of the population lay dormant in their individual chambers, while the remaining 1% remained awake to tend the machinery and prepare for the reawakening, known as "Thaw", followed by the planet's active period known as "Vital."[1]

This minority lived in a place known as the Sun Dome, a habitat which was brightly lit by a plasma ball which simulated sunlight. This artificial sunlight was overly strong however, leading the savant Uber Aemos to speculate that this was done to compensate for the feeling of perpetual night the denizens suffered otherwise.[1]

It was on Hubris that Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn killed the heretic Murdin Eyclone, who was attempting the bodily resurrection of the infamous Pontius Glaw with the mass murder of cryosleepers.[1] This was the start of the chain of events that marked Eisenhorn's slide into the path of the radical.[Needs Citation]

Notable Residents

See also