|Fleets of the Galaxy :||Imperial Navy • Space Marine Fleet • Adeptus Mechanicus Fleet • Chaos Fleet • Eldar Fleet • Dark Eldar Fleet • Ork Fleet • Tyranid Fleet • Necron Fleet • Tau Fleet • Tau Merchant Fleet • Leagues of Votann Fleet|
The Imperial Navy, or Navis Imperialis is one of the armed forces employed by the Imperium. While the Imperial Guard is responsible for the Imperium's ground forces, the Imperial Navy is responsible for the fleets of warships that soar between the stars and planets in the Imperium as well as engaging threats both inside and outside the Imperium's borders. The Imperial Navy is the military arm of the Imperial Fleet and was, until their separation after the Horus Heresy, a branch of the Imperial Army.
- 1 Organisation
- 2 Vessels
- 3 Imperial Navy Equipment
- 4 Notable Members of the Imperial Navy
- 5 Images
- 6 Related Articles
- 7 Sources
These fleets are named after the Segmentum in which they are based, such as the Warfleet Solar and so on. These fleets are then sub-divided into smaller fleets patrolling individual sectors and subsectors, again they are generally named after the area they are safeguarding, for example Battlefleet Gothic will be protecting the Gothic Sector.
- Segmentum Solar - Mars
- Segmentum Pacificus - Hydraphur
- Segmentum Obscurus - Cypra Mundi
- Segmentum Tempestus - Bakka
- Ultima Segmentum - Kar Duniash
Below the Lord Admirals are various Sector and Battlefleet commanders, then individual ship Captains and junior officers and below them a myriad array of Non-Commissioned Officers. The Imperial Navy has a corps of Commissars that oversee the morale and discipline of Naval personnel, known as the Fleet Commissariat.
The Imperial Navy also operates Naval Security Battalions, also known as Naval Armsmen. These consist of units of armed soldiers intended to put down mutinies, board enemy ships, and protect Imperial Navy installations. Typically, Naval Security troopers are equipped with black body armour and shotguns.
Imperial Navy vessels require personnel from other Imperial factions in order to function. These include Navigators from the Navis Nobilite for navigation, Astropaths for interstellar communication, and Tech-Priests from the Adeptus Mechanicus for higher maintenance. One of the foremost duties of the Navy is to transport the Imperial Guard to warzones, and as such every Navy vessel no matter how small will sport some means of training deck to accommodate them.[11b]
The lowest level of personnel in the Navy hierarchy are bondsmen, which in truth are little more than slaves. Alongside Servitors, these poor souls undertake the most thankless and often most dangerous tasks on a vessel. Bondsmen are acquired from a variety of means, such as rounding up criminals or unsavory elements of Imperial society or simply being born into their status aboard a vessel. Bondsmen duties include cleaning, hauling ammunition into weapons chambers, shoveling fuel, and manual labor. Working long hours and only fed meager rations, Bondsmen are met with brutal discipline should they protest their status.[11a]
The Imperial Navy is composed of a vast array of different types of vessels - from one-man attack fighters to huge Battleships that are many miles long.
Battleships are huge vessels, with colossal amounts of weapons and shields, and usually serve as the flagship for the Admiral of the Fleet, though this is not always necessarily the case. Although very powerful, battleships are very slow to manoeuvre and cannot react quickly to enemies that rapidly change course. Imperial battleships can have crews of anywhere between 25,000 to 3,000,000 or more depending on sources, including large numbers of Imperial Navy armsmen to defend against enemy boarding assaults. Battleships can be up to 8 kilometres from prow to stern and displace billions of tons. Because they represent such a vast expenditure of resources and require a fairly advanced technical base, these are typically constructed only in the largest shipyards above the major Adeptus Mechanicus Forge Worlds. These vessels are precious assets and are carefully husbanded, usually employed in only larger fleet formations.
There are various classes of Imperial Battleship, but the Emperor and more recent Retribution are by far the most common in the Imperial Navy.
- Apocalypse Class Battleship
- Emperor Class Battleship - carries an immense amount of attack craft in addition to its normal, incredibly powerful weaponry.
- Invincible Class Fast Battleship
- Nemesis Class Fleet Carrier
- Oberon Class Battleship
- Retribution Class Battleship - which is noted for its powerful broadside firepower and its very large amount of torpedo tubes
- Vanquisher Class Battleship
- Victory Class Battleship
- Graia Class Battleship
- Adjudicator Class Battleship
Smaller that Battleships, Cruisers are the Ships of the line in Imperial Fleets. There are several different sub-categories of Cruiser.
Grand Cruisers are significantly smaller than battleships, yet distinctly larger than regular cruisers. These vessels are usually very old in design and do not incorporate many of the features that are typical in current Imperial Navy vessels, like the armoured prow, and are not entirely compatible with current navy tactical doctrine. Due to this, many are retired from active duty, but are still used by reserve fleets. There are also some modernised versions of grand cruisers in service, but since these are much larger and more heavily-armed than their predecessors, they are more often classed as battleships. These kinds of vessels are usually purpose-built or modified from battlecruiser hulls and are not commonly encountered in the Imperial Navy.
- Avenger Class Grand Cruiser
- Exorcist Class Grand Cruiser
- Furious Class Grand Cruiser
- Vengeance Class Grand Cruiser
Battlecruisers are based on a hull-design that is similar to the regular Cruisers, though Battle Cruisers are generally somewhat larger and more heavily armed, incorporating more advanced power distribution systems capable of supporting battleship-grade weaponry in a cruiser hull.
- Armageddon Class Battle Cruiser
- Chalice Class Battle Cruiser[3a]
- Dominion Class Battle Cruiser
- Long Serpent Class Battlecruiser
- Mars Class Battle Cruiser
- Mercury Class Battle Cruiser
- Overlord Class Battle Cruiser
Cruisers make up the majority of a fleet. Though not as powerful as a Battleship, cruisers are much faster and can still deliver a deadly blow. There are multiple classes of cruiser, most based on the same general hull design but incorporating different combinations of broadside batteries, lance turrets and starfighter hangars. Cruisers can carry a crew complement of anywhere between 1,000-100,000, depending on sources. While cruisers are still particularly complex, it is not uncommon for them to be constructed on smaller Forge Worlds or any Civilised World that has a shipyard suitable for constructing vessels of their size.
- Dictator Class Cruiser
- Dominator Class Cruiser
- Gothic Class Cruiser
- Lunar Class Cruiser
- Tyrant Class Cruiser
A subset of the cruiser category are the Light Cruisers. These ships fall in size between cruisers and escorts, mixing the firepower and durability of the former with the speed and manoeuvrability of the latter. Light cruisers are a fairly common ship class, for they are relatively simple to construct for being a capital ship, and they are uniquely suited for reconnaissance patrols and for making a presence where their speed and manoeuvrability are an advantage, and where having a larger number of smaller hulls allows the Navy to monitor a wider area of space.
- Dauntless Class Light Cruiser
- Defiant Class Light Cruiser
- Defender Class Light Cruiser
- Endeavor Class Light Cruiser
- Endurance Class Light Cruiser
- Enforcer Class Light Cruiser
- Siluria Class Light Cruiser
- Styges Class Light Cruiser
Escort ships are the smallest type of ship in the Imperial Navy fleets, found in two distinct sub-classes.
The larger of the two are Frigates, which are better armed and more heavily armoured. Destroyers are generally smaller, but they are by far the fastest and most manoeuvrable interstellar warships employed by the Imperial Navy. They are usually organised in squadrons of 2 to 6 vessels and will always operate as a group. The main task of the escort ships is to serve as a screen for capital ships against enemy torpedoes and attack crafts so that they can get into position more quickly and safely. They are also employed behind the gun line to finish off enemy cruisers that have been damaged so that the larger vessels can concentrate on the most important threats in an enemy formation. Most escort classes specialise in a certain role, such as the Cobra class torpedo boat destroyers or the Firestorm class frigate with its armour-piercing prow-mounted Lance. Escort ships are normally not more than 1.5 kilometres in length, with destroyers generally being only 750 metres to 2 kilometres from prow to stern.
- Turbulent Class Heavy Frigate[3b]
- Invictor Class Heavy Frigate
- Tempest Class Frigate
- Firestorm Class Frigate
- Havoc Class Frigate
- Sword Class Frigate
- Falchion Class Escort
- Cobra Class Destroyer
- Viper Class Destroyer
- Claymore Class Corvette[3b]
- Defence Monitor
Older and obsolete classes
There are many older classes of Imperial ship that are no longer in production -
- Ironclad Battleships - also known as Adamanticlads much like their contemporary counterparts, are vast 8-kilometre vessels which lack the void shielding of their counterparts in favour of metres of adamantium plate armour. These ships, built before the advent of void-screen technology, have since been phased out of production, for the main part, to be replaced by more modern designs.
- Obsolete Classes - There are many classes of vessel which were once utilised by the Imperial Navy. Many of these older vessels are still in service with the Traitor Fleets.
Note on variations in Classes
While naval warships can be defined along a fairly limited number of classes based on weapon configurations approved by the Adeptus Mechanicus, the form these vessels takes varies widely throughout the Imperium. For example, a Lunar class constructed above Cypra Mundi in Segmentum Obscurus may bear little resemblance to a Lunar class constructed above Kar Duniash in Ultima Segmentum and even less so to a Lunar class, constructed among the vast shipyards of Mars. Nonetheless, they will all have roughly the same operating characteristics and weapon configuration, and thus can be easily serviced by any orbital facility throughout Imperial space.[Needs Citation]
Many Imperial vessels carry onboard various smaller craft for both offense and defense.
The branch of the Imperial Navy known as the Aeronautica Imperialis is responsible for the majority of Imperial Aircraft. These aircraft are used both for space-combat and providing air support to Imperial ground forces.
- Lord High Admiral Merelda Pereth
- Lord High Admiral Lansung
- Lord Admiral Zaccarius Rath
- Lord Admiral Anastasia Arkelius
- High Admiral Vortigern Hanroth
- Admiral Cornelius von Ravensburg
- Admiral Parol
- Admiral Quarren
- Admiral Usurs
- Vice Admiral Alber Vander Trake
- Captain Abridal
- Captain Horatio Bugler
- Captain Virator Hax
- Commander Brunt
- Imperial Fleet
- Adeptus Terra
- Imperial Navy Hierarchy
- List of Imperial Battlefleets
- Navy Intelligence
- 1: White Dwarf 140 (UK)
- 2: Battlefleet Gothic Resources, [Needs Citation]
- 3: Battlefleet Koronus, pg. 24
- 4: Dark Heresy Core Rulebook, pg. 261
- 5: Codex: Imperial Guard (3rd Edition, 2nd Codex), [Needs Citation]
- 6: White Dwarf 352, pg. 32
- 7: Space Fleet (game)
- 8: White Dwarf February 2020, pg. 59
- 9: Watchers of the Throne: The Regent's Shadow (Novel), Chapter 21
- 10: Warhammer Community: Warhammer in World of Warships (posted on 30/06/2020) (last accessed on 30 June 2020)
- 11: Priests of Mars (Novel)
- 12: Inquis Exterminatus, pg. 18
- 13: Rogue Trader Rulebook, pgs. 176-177
- 14: Shadow Point (Novel), Part 1 Chapter 1
- 15: White Dwarf November 2019, pg. 51
- 16: Warhammer Community: Join the Imperial Navy, Discover Ancient Xenos Cultures… and Destroy Them (posted 24/8/2022) (last accessed 25/8/2022)