Extremely prestigious, it is second only to the Emperor in authority. Its holder is said to be the living voice of the Emperor. The title sometimes overlaps with Lord Commander of the Imperium, but presumably includes civic authority as well as military. The title was one of the few positions that warranted the placement of members of the Adeptus Custodes as bodyguards. The post was presumably created after the Emperor of Mankind withdrew from the Great Crusade, and the administration of Terra in general, to work on his own secret projects.
Known Imperial Regents
- Malcador the Sigillite — The first Imperial Regent. Held the post during the Great Crusade and Horus Heresy.
- Sanguinius — Emperor Regent of Imperium Secundus during the Horus Heresy.
- Roboute Guilliman — Regent in the aftermath of the Horus Heresy. 10,000 years later Guilliman took on the title again following his resurrection.
- Maximus Thane — Regent in the years following The Beheading and the War of the Beast.
- 1: The Unremembered Empire (Novel) — Chapter 1
- 2: Angels of Caliban (Novel) — Chapter 21
- 3: Dark Imperium (Novel) — Chapter 6
- 4: The Beheading (Novel) — Chapter 12
- 5: The Flight of the Eisenstein (Novel)