Kindred (Leagues of Votann)
These are groupings somewhere between extended families and close-knit nations, and vary in size from a few dozen up to many thousands or even millions. All Kin in a Kindred have sprung from its Crucible, and thus share a genetic bond stronger than any other allegiance. They usually live, train, and toil within their Kindred's Hold when not abroad in the stars for trade, prospecting, or war. The familial bond of the Kindred remains with their Kin and Ironkin whether they live in a hold or roam the stars as warriors and prospectors. There is a shared understanding between members of a Kindred that goes deeper than words, a commonality of thought and action that binds their armies and appears to outsiders as low-level telepathy. The vast majority of Kindreds in turn answer to a greater League, and typically a League is made up of at least six to twenty Kindreds.[1c]
Every Kindred governs itself from a huge spherical chamber known as the Spakerönde. Here, the Hearthspake gathers. In war, the highest body of a Kindred is a Votannic Council which oversees its armies of Hearthkyn, Einhyr Hearthguard, and specialist officers.[1b]
Every Kindred has its own name chosen when it was founded. Some are named for the Ancestor credited with their establishment, while others are named after a defining feature of their Hold world. Others have oddly basic names, or names that denote their defining nature.
- Kindred of Vôrtun - Greater Thurian League. Kindred of Uthar.
- Nôthka's Kindred - Trans-Hyperian Alliance
- Kindred of Liminus Crag - Trans-Hyperian Alliance
- Ukúlak's Kindred - Trans-Hyperian Alliance
- Orksbane Kindred - Ymyr Conglomerate
- Kôrynn's Kindred - Kronus Hegemony
- Kindred of Six - Kronus Hegemony
- Sylâkh's Kindred
- Skâlfi's Kindred - Named after its founding ancestor.
- Kindred of Nârunn - Named after its founding ancestor.
- Vykât's Kin - Named after its founding ancestor
- Kindred of Echodark - Named for the defining feature of their Hold world.
- Thousand Stars Kindred - Named for the defining feature of their Hold world.
- Iron Canyon Kindred - Named for the defining feature of their Hold world.
- Star-delver Kindred - Named for their defining nature
- Kindred of Aârnok[1c]
- Kindred of Ork Slayers - Named for their defining nature
- Kindred Six
- Kindred Eleven-D
- Oriâkh's Irongate - Lost their Ancestor Core in the Five Hundred Years War.[1a]