Imperial Navy Hierarchy
- 1 Admiralty Ranks
- 2 Battlefleet Ranks
- 3 Great Crusade Ranks
- 4 Badges of Rank
- 5 Gallery
- 6 Related Articles
- 7 Sources
The Lord High Admiral of the Imperial Navy is the highest rank of the imperial Navy. Most often selected from the Lord High Admiral of Segmentum Solar, the Lord High Admiral of the Navy oversees his forces interests on the Senatorum Imperialis and Terra while the five Segmentum Lord High Admirals manage fleet affairs.
Known Lord High Admirals of the Imperial Navy
Lord High Admiral
Lord High Admiral (also referred to as Lord Militant Commander or Lord Commander) is the highest command rank in the Imperial Navy. There are five Lord High Admirals, each one controlling a fleet of the five Segmentae Majoris. Although all five are ranked equally, command of the Segmentum Solar is considered the most prestigious office.
Known Lord High Admirals:
- Udin Macht Udo - Eventually became Lord Commander of the Imperium
- Drang — Segmentum Obscurus, Current Lord High Admiral.[14a]
- Invisticone — Segmentum Pacificus, sometime in M41.[14b]
- Jaxon — Segmentum Solar, sometime in M41.
- Hal Orpheus — Segmentum Tempestus, mid-M36.
- Thaddeon Trassq — commanded Battlefleet Solar-Rimward in the later stages of the War of the Beast
- Zaccarius Rath — Segmentum Tempestus, circa 745.M41.
Solar Admiral is a prospective sector commander, awaiting assignment to take command of a particular Battlefleet.[10a]
Known Lord Admirals:
- Anastasia Arkelius — Commander of Battlegroup Cerberus in the Orpheus Salient of the Achilus Crusade.
- Bastille the Seventh — Former Naval officer and current Rogue Trader, although it is unlikely he reached this rank within the Imperial Navy.
- Crziel Acharya
- Galtaire - Led the reconquest of Rynn's World
- Gordus — Imperial Commander of the Diamor System
- Vortigern Hanroth
- Khorlu — also Rogue Trader
- Orson Kranswar — Commander of Battlefleet Demeter during the Pandorax Campaign
- Cornelius von Ravensburg — Commander of Battlefleet Gothic during the 12th Black Crusade
- Androvast Strophes — Former commander of Battlefleet Calixis.[10f]
- Vargaz — Commander of Battlefleet Calixis in 507.M41.[10f]
Known High Admirals:
An Admiral sees command of a Battlegroup, which is an assigned grouping of ships to handle certain situations.
- Nathaniel Horne — Commander of 'Battlefleet Koronus', or Passage Watch 27 Est, the Imperial Navy in the Koronus sector.[10e]
- Parol — Admiral Parol is the Commander of the Imperial Navy Fleet in the Armageddon Sector.
- Pator Antias
- Quarren — Admiral who defended the Cadian Sector's space lane during the 13th Black Crusade.
- Trajan — commands the Fire of Heaven starship during the beginning of the Third War for Armageddon. Presumably lost.
- Trankar — Led Imperial forces in the Battle of Bloodstar
- Usurs — Influential Admiral who was sent on a one-way exploratory mission by the High Lords of Terra in M33.
- Venesca Catallia — Engaged the Vengeful Spirit during the 13th Black Crusade
Vice-Admiral is traditionally in charge of a vanguard, and as such is usually placed in command of scouting forces of light cruisers and destroyers[10b].
Known Vice Admirals:
- Alber Vander Trake — Commander during the Sabbat Worlds Crusade
- Chanke — Fought in the 13th Black Crusade
Rear-Admiral is usually an administrative post, based around logistics and planning.[10b]
Commodore or Commodore-Captain is a rank held by personnel such as the adjutant to an Admiral or the commander of a battle-squadron.
- Hentzmann - Arch-Commodore
- Vensatoria - Arch-Commodore
- Teodor Naremmus — Commander of Patrol Group 686, part of Battlefleet Calixis.
- Hubert Visiter — Retired, assumed command of Perlian System Defence Force during the 13th Black Crusade. [Needs Citation]
Lord High Captain ranks between a Lord Captain and a Commodore.
Lord-Captain or Flag-Captain is the rank given to the Captain of a vessel on detached duty.[10b]
- Sylvia Locke — Captain of the Dauntless Class Light Cruiser Aegis, on extended long range patrol in the Koronus Expanse.
- Rafal Kulik
Captain: in the Imperial Navy the rank of captain implies that the bearer has command of a ship. On board his ship, his word is law, above that of any other, save the Emperor's own. An Imperial Navy captain receives orders from a Rear-Admiral. He would then interpret these orders, and have them carried out by delegating tasks to his command staff.[Needs Citation]
Commander is a senior officer rank within the Imperial Navy held, for example, by the First Officer of an Imperial Cruiser or the captain of an escort vessel.
Lieutenant Commander is a senior officer rank within the Imperial Navy.
The bulk of officers on a ship are the Lieutenants. In the early days of the Navy, these were were ranked in accordance with seniority going as far as Twelfth Lieutenant and possibly beyond. The modern Navy uses numbered Lieutenants as three distinct ranks.[10c]
- Flag-Lieutenant or Lord-Lieutenant is the highest Lieutenant rank in the Navy, and may be the second in command of a ship.[10c]
- First Lieutenant[10c]
- Second Lieutenant[10c]
- Third Lieutenant[10c]
- Sub-Lieutenant or Ensign is the most junior Lieutenant rank.[10c]
- Midshipman is the rank given to 'trainee' officers, who have to pass extensive examinations before becoming a Lieutenant.[10c]
Non-commissioned ranks within the Imperial Navy include:
- Warrant Officer
- Master Chief Petty Officer
- Senior Chief Petty Officer is a senior NCO rank, denoted by a gold-fringed red rank sash.
- Chief Petty Officer
- Sergeant-at-Arms[10c] or Senior Armsman is often in charge of squad of armsmen.
- Crewboss is often in charge of a shift on convicts.
- An Voidsman-at-Arms, or Armsman is tasked with maintaining security, boarding enemy vessels and repelling boarders.
- Voidmaster — Commanders of Voidsmen squads.
- A Trusted Crewman, Voidsman or Shipman (archaic)[10d] is a rank held by the skilled crew of the vessel
Attack Craft Ranks
The ranks of personnel assigned to Attack Craft differ from regular Naval ranks:
- Wing Commander — The commander of all attack craft on board a carrier ship.[10b]
- Wing Captain — The commander of a long-range patrol attack craft such as a Faustus Class Interceptor.
- Squadron Commander — The commander of a squadron consisting of attack craft such as a Starhawk Bomber.
- Squadron Sergeant — A pilot who has demonstrated skill and tactical leadership.
Naval Security also have ranks differing from regular Naval ranks:
- Lord Procurator - Senior rank.[22a]
- Procurator — Senior rank, equal to Commodore.[22a]
- Major — Officer rank.[22b]
- Corporal — Junior rank.[22c]
Great Crusade Ranks
Badges of Rank
The Imperial Navy uses the following badges for senior officers:
- 1: Battlefleet Gothic Armada, pg. 18
- 2: Inquisitor (film) by Andy Jones & Tom Lauten
- 3: Battlefleet Gothic Rulebook, pg. 86
- 4: Relentless (Novel) by Richard Williams, [Needs Citation]
- 5: First and Only (Novel) by Dan Abnett, [Needs Citation]
- 6: Execution Hour (Novel) by Gordon Rennie, [Needs Citation]
- 7: Shadow Point (Novel) by Gordon Rennie, [Needs Citation]
- 8: White Dwarf 139 (UK), [Needs Citation]
- 9: Warhammer 40,000 5th Edition Rulebook, pg. 124
- 10: Rogue Trader: Battlefleet Koronus
- 11: Rogue Trader: Lure of the Expanse, pg. 27
- 12: Rogue Trader: Hostile Acquisitions, pg. 91
- 13: Rogue Trader: Into the Storm, pg. 242
- 14: Eye of Terror (Novel) by Barrington J. Bayley
- 15: Rogue Trader: The Frozen Reaches,[Needs Citation]
- 16: The Achilus Assault pg. 142
- 17: Dark Heresy Timeline pgs. 1–3
- 18: I Am Slaughter (Novel) by Dan Abnett, Chapter 3
- 19: The Emperor Expects (Novel), Chapter 5
- 20: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada (Video Game)
- 21: The Horus Heresy Book Seven - Inferno, pg. 14
- 22: Xenos (Novel) by Dan Abnett
- 23: Aeronautica Imperialis: Rynn's World Air War pg.48