|This article is about the Civil War. For other uses of Macharius, see Macharius (disambiguation).|
After the death of Macharius, the rivalry between his seven Army Group Generals erupted into a civil war throughout the newly-conquered territories. Eventually the swath of territory conquered by Macharius splintered into warring miniature empires, each ruled over by one Macharius' old Generals, who abandoned their oaths of loyalty to the Imperium and opposed not only each other but also the authority of the Adeptus Terra. In addition, Space Marine Chapters that took part in the Crusade came to blows over and petty disputes, such as the Doom Warriors and Inceptors.[2b]
The Dark Angels played a major role during the unrest, suppressing civil wars and uncovering corrupt Alpha Legion affiliated cults over three decades. The Dark Angels also followed the unmistakable signs of Cypher's presence in the unrest.
Known Battles during the Macharian Heresy
- The Euxcine Incident - The Minotaurs intervene in a war between the Doom Eagles and Inceptors, humiliating the latter and nearly wiping them out.[2b]
- Lythanos Uprisings — The Dark Angels pursue several Fallen, though a run-in with the Space Wolves allows them to escape.
- Cyros Prime — The Minotaurs destroy the rebel 11th Kahdu Armored Corps under Colonel Lyrias.[2a]
- Duval and the Sword Realms of the Hope Cluster — The Minotaurs enact Exterminatus.[2a]
- Nereus — On the Ocean World, the Minotaurs hunt down and destroy the xenos-possessed 4th Company of the Imperial Paladins.[2a]
- The Battle of Deucalion[Needs Citation]
It took a seventy year-long Crusade under Warmaster Solon consisting of one hundred Space Marine Chapters to finally put an end to the Heresy. The majority of the worlds that were under the rule of Macharius' old warlords were pacified and re-incorporated into the Imperium.
- Blood Ravens
- Doom Warriors[2b]
- Dark Angels
- Space Wolves
- Star Phantoms loyalists[2c]
- Marines Malevolent[2c]
- 1: Codex: Imperial Guard (5th Edition), pg. 13
- 2: Imperial Armour Volume Ten:
- 3: Codex: Imperial Guard (2nd Edition), pg. 87
- 4: Codex: Dark Angels (6th Edition), pgs. 36–38
- 5: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II — Carapace of War, (wargear selection screen)
- 6: Codex Imperialis, pg. 27
- 7: Games Workshop: Captain Al'rahem: A Tallarn Desert Raiders' Special Character (saved archive page, dated 12 April 2008, last accessed 07 April 2021)