|Marine||Basic Data||Chapter Symbol|
The Marines Malevolent are a chapter known for brutality, aggressiveness, and a pragmatic disregard for innocent life, collateral damage, or one another. They have poor relations with other Chapters, most notably the Salamanders.
The Marines Malevolent were deployed during the Third War for Armageddon. They deployed two companies, a fairly small number, although evidence shows they had Whirlwind artillery support.[Needs Citation]
They have an arrogance about them that has brought many requests for Inquisitorial investigation. An example of this was during an Ork attack on a refugee camp near Hades Hive. In excess of five thousand Orks penetrated the defences of the camp and took the entire population, over 12,000 refugees and nearly 1,000 member of the Adeptus Ministorum as hostages. The Marines Malevolent proceeded to use their Whirlwind anti-personnel artillery pieces to bombard the Orks while they were still in the camp. On the proceeding attack to retake the camp, a huge amount of collateral damage had been done to the camp's population. Nearly four thousand refugees had been killed, but the Marines Malevolent seemed to believe them to be acceptable casualties. In a conversation with Colonel Destrier Celestine of the Armageddon Command Guard, the Marines Malevolent Captain Vinyar gave a speech that was tantamount to saying that those in the camp were not worthy of living and about his force's supremacy in war, before turning round to face the Salamanders Chapter Master Tu'Shan, who verbally rebuked Vinyar on his chapter's actions, saying they had betrayed those they were sworn to protect.
- Macharian Crusade
- The Macharian Heresy - Battled with their former allies, the Star Phantoms, and nearly destroyed by them.
- Third War for Armageddon - See Above
- Standoff with the Salamanders over spoils on the derelict Mechanicum vessel Archimedes Rex. The Marines Malevolent backed down in the face of the Strike Cruiser Vulkan's Wrath, but the vessel later crash landed on Scoria. The Marines Malevolent quickly arrived, and saved Salamanders survivors but only in exchange for the weaponry they were originally seeking. The Marines Malevolent later appeared on Nocturne to again faceoff with the Salamanders, resulting in Tu'Shan finally giving them what they sought but not forgetting their behavior.[4b][4c]
- The Siege of the Fenris System
- The Battle of Loqe II
Notable Marines Malevolent
- Captain Kastor - Captain of the Elite 1st Company Veteran "Vilifiers".[4b]
- Captain Vinyar - Captain of the 2nd Company and commander of the Chapter vessel Purgatory.
- Captain Vorr
- Sergeant Lorkar - Sergeant of the 2nd Company.[4a]
- Veteran Sergeant Turrok - Sergeant of the 2nd Company
- Veteran Ballack (deceased) - A member of the 1st "Vilifiers" Company.
- Techmarine Harkane
- Vortan - Member of the Deathwatch
- 1: Armageddon Website - Details of the Third War for Armageddon Worldwide Campaign
- 2: Index Astartes: "Emperor's Shield" (White Dwarf 249 (UK))
- 3: Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition), pg. 47
- 4: Salamander (Novel)
- 5: Codex: Armageddon, pg. 32
- 6: Imperial Armour Volume Ten - The Badab War: Part Two, pg. 134
- 7: Bitter Salvage (Short Story)
- 8: Machine Spirit (Short Story) - Xenos Hunters (Anthology)
- 9: The Lost King (Short Story)
- 10: Vengeful Honour (Short Story)
- 11: Adeptus Astartes: Successor Chapters, pg. 68
- 12: White Dwarf 477, pg.88 - Kill. Maim. Burn.