Taking orders from their Overlord, Necron Lords direct battles and oversee the functions of the Tomb World as part of the Royal Court. Often seen wearing crumbling vestments and wielding ancient and arcane staffs, they are a chilling sight on the battlefield, filling their foes with dread. Though age mars and chips at their once-perfectly silvered forms, time has not diminished their malice. To further unnerve the enemy, they direct their forces to attack in eerie silence and have glittering arcs of energy surrounding the soulless fires that burn in their empty eye sockets.
The basic armament for a Necron Lord is a Staff of Light, but this is sometimes upgraded to a Warscythe, Hyperphase Sword, or Voidblade. Necron Lords are also known to go into battle with Resurrection Orbs. In cases of succumbing to the madness of the Destroyer Cult Necron Lords can be found mounted on a Destroyer Body chassis, becoming Destroyer Lords. 
Necron Lords in the 41st Millennium
Necron Lords serve in the courts of powerful Necron Overlords or Phaerons, often ruling over individual Tomb Worlds on the behalf of greater Necron Dynasties. A Necron Overlord can sometimes have many Necron Lords at his command. Despite this, however, a Necron Lord is a fearsome opponent in his own right and they themselves command vast legions of Necron forces.
Some Necron Lords command specialist War Cells:
- Harbinger of Awakening — A Necron Lord found at the head of a Resurrection War Cell.
- Harbinger of Night — A Necron Lord found at the head of a Shroudweaver War Cell.
- Harbinger of the Storm — A Necron Lord found at the head of a Stormcaller War Cell.
Notable Necron Lords
- Aetehk — Known as Aetehk the Watcher. A Necron Lord who leads his armies that often engage the servants of the Chaos Gods with it being said that those being consumed by Aetehk's armies weapons having their very souls destroyed.
- Herald of Dismay — A Necron Lord that formed part of the Nodal Command present at the Damnos Incident.
- Herald of the Storm — The Necron Lord entombed beneath Medusa VII that stirred from it's slumber awakening the tomb world as The Fall of Medusa V began. 
- Henghast Zo — Xonthar Dynasty
- Illmahnokh — Suhbekhar Dynasty
- Necron Lord of All Kaurava — After rising from their tombs on Kaurava III, the awoken Necrons sought to conquer the Kaurava system. The Necron Lord of All Kaurava was found leading these efforts.
- Necron Lord of Kronus — After rising from their tombs on Kronus, the awoken Necrons sought to retake their tomb world. The Necron Lord of Kronus was found leading these efforts. 
- Stygos M'rrith — Xonthar Dynasty
- Valgûl — The ruler of Drazak, also known as the Fallen Lord.
- 1: Codex: Necrons (5th Edition), pg. 30
- 2: Apocalypse Reload, pgs. 48-51
- 3: Codex: Necrons (9th Edition) pg.87
- 4: The Fall of Medusa V, pgs. 22-23
- 5: Dawn of War: Dark Crusade