Orbital Plates (also known as superorbital plates) are large space structures built by the Imperium. Essentially cities orbiting around their patron worlds, Orbital Plates can hold untold millions and often sport important industries, trading centres, and defences. A number of the so-called "master worlds" of the Imperium possessed orbital plates, most notably Terra itself.
Terra was home to some of the largest and most glorious Orbital Plates which were mostly constructed during the Dark Age of Technology. Most of these were destroyed over the Horus Heresy, either by Rogal Dorn decommissioning them for fears of their vulnerability for the coming Siege or by Horus' forces during the Siege itself.[Needs Citation]
During the Siege of Terra the last of Terra's Orbital Plates, the Sky Plate, was used as an aerial carrier and weapons platform but was destroyed during the White Scars counteroffensive on the Lion's Gate Spaceport.
Known Worlds to contain Orbital Plates
- 1: The Outcast Dead (Novel), Chapter 4
- 2: Praetorian of Dorn (Novel), Chapter 3
- 3: Wolfsbane (Novel), Chapter 7
- 4: The Unremembered Empire (Novel), Chapter 9
- 5: Titandeath (Novel), Chapter 12
- 6: Warhawk (Novel), Chapter 16
- 7: Know No Fear (Novel), Target//Acquisition, Chapter 2
- 8: The Imperial Truth (Anthology), Cover art