|This article is about the Imperial weapon; for the Tau weapon, see Tau Plasma Cannon.|
The plasma cannon or heavy plasma gun is a plasma weapon, a larger version of the plasma gun.
Due to its size and massive power requirements, plasma cannons tend to be found mainly on vehicles, but Space Marines are known to use them in their Devastator Squads. The "heavies" of some hive world gangs often make use of the plasma cannon. The weapon generates plasma which it fires as a glowing super-heated bolt of energy, which on hitting an object, reacts with its matter to produce spheres of boiling nuclear energy like miniature suns. For this reason they have the informal name of "sun gun".
The gun itself has a similar effect to the plasma gun, except this weapon does damage over a much larger area. Several individuals can be caught in one blast, making the plasma cannon a potent weapon. Unless hooked up to a vehicle's systems, a plasma cannon suffers from the usual overheating problems that plague other plasma weapons.[Needs Citation]
Vehicles that can carry the plasma cannon include the Leman Russ Battle Tank, Sentinel, and Dreadnought.
Known Patterns of Imperial Plasma Cannon
- Mk.I "Erasmus" pattern
- Mk XII "Comet" pattern[4b]
- Mk XII Ryza pattern[4a]
- Mk XIII Pattern
- M31 Pattern — Used by Chaos Space Marines
- Sol Militaris "Helion Fire" Pattern: Duplex magnacore type; Terran manufactured, issued to Legiones Astartes during the Great Crusade and Horus Heresy.
- Primus Pattern - Used by House Van Saar on Necromunda. Variant exists known as 'Supernova'.
- Sulis Sub-Type - aka the Sun Gun, used by House Escher on Necromunda.
Dark Angels Devastator with plasma cannon
Primus Pattern 'Supernova' Variant Plasma Cannon
Sulis Sub-Type Plasma Cannon
- 1: Necromunda Rulebook, [Needs Citation]
- 2: Warhammer 40,000: Wargear pg. 37
- 3: Codex: Imperial Guard (5th Edition) pg. 45
- 4: Imperial Armour Volume Nine - The Badab War - Part One
- 5: Codex: Space Wolves (5th Edition) pg. 59
- 6: Codex: Chaos Space Marines (4th Edition) pg. 82
- 7: Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition) pg. 101
- 8: The Horus Heresy Book Two - Massacre pg. 17
- 9: Eternal crusade Rogue Trader Store - Space Marines
- 10: Necromunda: House of Artifice pg.110-111
- 11: Necromunda: House of Blades, pg. 114