Ratlings are the smallest type of abhuman, their ancestors having become stunted by thousands of years of inbreeding on worlds with naturally soporific climates and abundant harvests.
Ratlings are short and squat, although not strong. They are idle, hedonistic, gregarious, over-friendly and sexually promiscuous. Their lives are spent eating until sick, drinking copious amounts of intoxicating liquids, and procreating uncontrollably. These small, loud, hungry and lecherous creatures are called Runtlings, Stunties, Halflings, Maggots and Ratlings, among other things.
Ratling home worlds are self-sufficient and agricultural (often - Agri Worlds or Feudal Worlds), and the hedonistic and unambitious nature of Ratlings means that these worlds do not progress beyond a medieval level of civilisation.
Ratlings in the Imperial Guard
Although Ratlings make generally poor warriors, the Imperium still has a use for them, and they are often recruited into the Imperial Guard as snipers, one of the battlefield roles in which they excel. In this role they operate independently of the rest of the Imperial Guard force, and are equipped with sniper rifles and flak armour.
Ratlings are also well known for their culinary abilities and often serve as cooks off the battlefield. Some Ratlings take advantage of their position as company cooks to acquire extra supplies to sate their voracious appetites. Others extend these benefits to their foster regiments for a price, their kitchens serving as fronts for their illegal activities. Their abilities as fences, thieves and black marketeers find them acceptance from the men they serve alongside, as they offer a wide range of goods, from extra rations, to drugs and alcohol, and even non-standard issue weapons common amongst veteran soldiers.
Ratlings of Note
Known Ratling Units
- 337th Abhuman Auxiliary Corps - Pariah Crusade. Participated in the defense of Traanaxis Hive
- Magogg's Ratling Rifles - Took part in the Damocles Crusade[5a]
- Manvolio Grand's Ratling Sharpshooters - Took part in the War of Weeping, on the world Crastille[5b]
- 1: Codex: Imperial Guard (3rd Edition, 2nd Codex), pg. 43
- 2: Codex Imperialis (Background Book), pg. 29
- 3: Codex: Imperial Guard (5th Edition), pg. 43
- 4: Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader, pg. 174
- 5: Codex: Astra Militarum (8th Edition)
- 6: Forge World Webstore: Bigby Crumb, Ratling Slopper (Last accessed on 7 March 2020)
- 7: Warhammer 40,000 6th Edition Rulebook, pg. 405
- 8: White Dwarf 456, pg. 61
- 9: Cadia Stands (Novel), pg. 60
|Imperial Guard Infantry|
|Command||Company Command Squad • Platoon Command Squad • Scion Command Squad • Tank Commander • Regimental Advisors • Commissar • Primaris Psyker • Tech-priest Enginseer • Priest|
|Specialists||Master of Ordnance • Breacher • Scout • Medic • Vox-Operator • Weapons Specialist • Sharpshooter • Operator|
|Troops||Infantry Squad • Heavy Weapons Squad • Special Weapons Squad • Armoured Fist Squad • Veteran Squad • Scions Squad • Penal Legion Troopers • Ogryn Squad • Ratling Squad • Psyker Battle Squad • Rough Rider Squad|