Sabbat Crusade (Anthology)
|This article is about the Anthology; for the military campaign, see Sabbat Worlds Crusade.|
|Author||Dan Abnett, David Annandale, Aaron Dembski-Bowden, Matthew Farrer, John French, Nick Kyme, Rob Sanders, Nik Vincent|
|Preceded by||Sabbat Worlds|
|Editions||November 2014 hardcover|
Sabbat Crusade, edited by Dan Abnett, is the second anthology of short stories set during the Sabbat Worlds Crusade, taking place subsequent to the events of Salvation's Reach (Novel). In addition to the short fiction, it features several illustrations by Fred Rambaud, and, as appendices, reprints of The Sabbat Worlds Crusade (Background Book) and Section 2 (Lyubov) of Tactica Imperialis (Background Book).
It was published in November 2014.
For a thousand years, the Sabbat Worlds have been lost to the Imperium, claimed by the dread powers of Chaos. Now, a mighty crusade seeks to return the sector to Imperial rule. The Space Marines of the Iron Snakes strike against heretic enclaves. Astra Militarum units such as the Volpone Bluebloods defend worlds from the ruinous hordes. The forces of the enemy – the vicious Blood Pact and Sons of Sek – fight amongst themselves for the honour of facing their foes. And at the forefront of the crusade are Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt and the Tanith First and Only – better known as Gaunt’s Ghosts.
- Family (Short Story) by Dan Abnett — After the horrors of Salvation's Reach, Gol Kolea turns to his family for comfort. But family is complicated, and for Kolea, more so than most can imagine...
- The Blood Bound (Short Story) by Rob Sanders — Tasked with retrieving or killing an escaped heretic, Squad Orpheus of the Iron Snakes find a trail of tragedy and ruin the traitor has left – and face the horrors that Chaos wreaks on the souls of men.
- You Never Know (Short Story) by Dan Abnett — Mabbon Etogaur doesn't expect trust. he's a three-time traitor, after all, and a prisoner of the Tanith First. But maybe, just maybe, he can experience kindness from his captors...
- Son of Sek (Short Story) by John French — What can turn a man from faith in the Emperor and make him serve a monster like Anakwanar Sek? Find out as one of the Sons of Sek, the elite Chaos forces of the Sabbat Worlds Crusade, tells his story.
- Tempest (Short Story) by Nick Kyme — When their latest assault grinds to a halt, the Royal Volpone 50th are given support – by an elite Militarum Tempestus unit. Can these two arrogant forces put aside their differences and win the war?
- Viduity (Short Story) by Nik Vincent — As the Tanith First recover from the horrors of Salvation's Reach, Elodie Daur sets out to solve a mystery and finds herself in deadly peril.
- The Deeper Wounds (Short Story) by David Annandale — The Imperium is the not the only enemy the Blood Pact face in the Sabbat Worlds, as the Sons of Sek – their supposed allies – turn on them...
- Ghosts and Bad Shadows (Short Story) by Dan Abnett — A simple supply run turns deadly for Gol Kolea and his Ghosts when they are, somewhat appropriately, haunted by something deadly...
- Arnogaur (Short Story) by Aaron Dembski-Bowden — Death stalks the Blood Pact – one of their own has been killed by a friend. It falls to Nautakah Arnogaur to discover the culprit, and deliver punishment.
- The Inheritor King (Short Story) by Matthew Farrer — Adept Tey seeks something monstrous on the world of Ashek II – one of Heritor Asphodel's Woe Machines, among the greatest horrors of the Sabbat Worlds Crusade.
- The Fissure (Short Story) by Nik Vincent — An ancient horror of the warp bleeding into the real world attracts the attention of the Iron Snakes, determined to seal the fissure and save a city.
- A Ghost Return (Short Story) by Dan Abnett — Descending beneath Sangrel Hive in search of an ancient shrine to Saint Sabbat herself, Gaunt and his men encounter something altogether more sinister.