The first Chaos Sorcerers emerged from the ranks of the Thousand Sons before and during the Horus Heresy. Some of these Sorcerers were exiled after the Rubric of Ahriman was cast and they now sell their services in exchange for sacrifices or the chance to hunt down arcane lore. Only the World Eaters destroyed their Sorcerers, Khorne having no interest in sorcery. If a Librarian overreaches himself and draws on too much psychic energy he may be granted visions of immortality and whispered promises of power.[Needs Citation]
Most Sorcerers are granted gifts by their god, which further enhance their psychic powers. They are also often selfish madmen, believing themselves superior to all others and on a mighty quest for power and knowledge to increase their mental fortitude and develop new ways of using their powers. Often the visions given to Sorcerers are unattainable, subsequently driving them to extremes in their desire to achieve these goals.[Needs Citation]
Sorcerers often take part in Daemonic Pacts to increase their powers through the use of Daemonic energy. This pact bargains some form of service or payment in return for a part of the Daemon's power. The Sorcerer can use this power to unleash staggering psychic powers, in the same way as Daemons use it to maintain their grip on reality. The greatest Sorcerers have dozens of daemonic pacts to increase their powers to unimaginable ends. While this can be useful and attractive, eventually a price must be paid by the Sorcerer.
Chaos Sorcerer Disciplines
- Sinistrum — Sorcerers of this discipline spend their lives hunting for forbidden tomes and lore, giving them primordial Warp abilities.
- Heretech — Specialize in the corruption of machinery and the creation of Daemon Engines
- Ectomancy — Specializes in the creation and manipulation of Warp lightning and energies.
- Geomortis — Manipulate the earth itself.
- Sorcerer Lord — sorcerers that serve as Chaos Lords of their own warband
- Master of Possession - Masters of manipulating the Daemonic.
- Thousand Sons/Tzeentch
- Scarab Occult Sorcerers - sorcerers of Thousand Sons who direct in battle Rubricae and Scarab Occult Terminators.
- Exalted Sorcerers - Experienced Sorcerers of the Thousand Sons
- Infernal Master - Sorcerers who are masters of Daemonology.
- Aspiring Sorcerers - Apprentices who lead Rubicae Squads.
- Death Guard/Nurgle
Notable Chaos Sorcerers
- Thousand Sons
- Black Legion
- Death Guard
- Iron Warriors
- Word Bearers
- Amadeus Volkstein — of the Oracles of Change
- Severin Drask — of the Crimson Slaughter
- Garlon Souleater - of the Red Corsairs
- Hasophet — Magister of the Mind-Eaters
- Malafor — of the Death Shadows
- Nihilan — of the Salamanders (became Renegade)
- Sathariel — of the Fallen
- Sindri Myr - of the Alpha Legion
- Vasellisk - of the Night Lords
In 3rd Edition, Chaos Sorcerers were Chaos Lieutenants with psychic powers, second in command to Chaos Lords who could also have psychic powers and carried unique staves. In 4th Edition however, Chaos Sorcerers are moved much closer to the role of Librarians and made into a dedicated unit rather than an upgrade for pre-existing units.
Chaos Sorcerer (8th Edition)
- 1: Codex: Chaos Space Marines (4th Edition), pg. 31
- 2: Codex: Chaos Space Marines (3rd Edition), [Needs Citation]
- 3: Warhammer-Community - Kill Team: Chaos Commanders (last accessed 12 October 2018)
- 4: Black Crusade: Traitor's Hate — Forces of Chaos
- 5: Index: Chaos (8th Edition) pg. 52
- 6: Dark Imperium (Game), 'Death Guard Booklet' pg. 6 — Malignant Plaguecasters
- 7: Codex: Thousand Sons (8th Edition), pg. 19
- 8: Into the Maelstrom (Short Story)
- 9: Warhammer Community: New Reveals, Chaos, Sororitas tanks, and more (posted November 3 2019) (Last accessed 11/3/2019)
- 10: Codex: Death Guard (8th Edition), pg. 101
- 11: Horus Heresy (Artbook Series), pg. 291
- 12: Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf, Mission 1
- 13: The Emperor's Chosen (Short Story)
- 14: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade
- 15: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War
- 16: Fallen (Comic Series), Issue #9
- 17: Codex: Thousand Sons (8th Edition), pg. 29
- 18: The Talon of Horus (Novel), Chapter 13
- 19: Codex: Tyranids (4th Edition), pg. 45
- 20: The Gate of Bones (Novel) - Dramatis Personae
- 21: Warhammer Community: Introducing the Thousand Sons’ Infernal Masters Who Forge Unholy Pacts With Daemonkind (Posted on 19/07/2021) (Last accessed on 19 July 2021)
- 22: Codex: Daemonkin (8th Edition) pg.6
|Thousand Sons Forces|
|Command||Exalted Sorcerer • Sorcerer • Scarab Occult Sorcerer • Aspiring Sorcerer • Infernal Master • Daemon Prince|
|Troops||Rubicae • Scarab Occult Terminator • Tzaangor • Tzaangor Enlightened • Tzaangor Shaman • Horror • Flamer • Screamer • Chaos Spawn • Tutelary • Cultists • Thrall Wizard|
|Vehicles||Helbrute • Ferrum Infernus Dreadnought • Rhino • Predator • Land Raider • Vindicator|
|Daemon Engines||Defiler • Forgefiend • Maulerfiend • Heldrake • Silver Tower • Fire Lord • Doom Wing|
|Special Characters||Magnus the Red • Ahriman|