|This article is about the Tyranid genus; for the Imperial Guard officer, see Ibram Gaunt.|
The Gaunt species are smaller and less physically powerful than most other Tyranid organisms, but they are extraordinarily adaptable and always attack in large numbers. They are a fully mutable species, and some are grown with extra wings, adrenaline/venom sacs and even bizarre bio-weapon symbiotes, including the dreaded Spike Rifle.
Available Bio-weapons mutations
Sometimes groups of Gaunts are gathered together to form a specialized brood. They are usually similar in some way, often by their armament. Some of these include:
- Impaler Broods
Impaler Broods are formed of up to 8 Gaunts armed with Spike Rifles.
- Strangler Broods
Strangler Broods are formed of up to 8 Gaunts armed with Stranglewebs.
Species of Gaunt
- Gargoyles are a species of gaunt that are are armed with a Fleshborer. They have also evolved a blinding venom attack and wings.
- The Hormagaunt is a gaunt species that is armed with Scything Talons. It has also evolved a remarkable leaping ability.
- The Spinegaunt is Gaunt species that is armed with Spinefists.
- The Termagant is the most numerous gaunt species. It is armed with a Fleshborer. The term "Termagant" is often used, in a broader sense, to mean any gaunt species that carries a ranged weapon symbiote.
- Nightgaunt is a winged gaunt species that is armed with Scything Talons and Implant Attack.
- Deathgaunt is gaunt species that is armed with Scything Talons, Toxin Sacs, and is capable of leaping.
There are many other sub-species of Gaunt which little is known, among them are:
- Codex: Tyranids (4th Edition)
- Imperial Armour Volume Four - The Anphelion Project
- Strangler and Skewer (accessed 2007.05.30)
|Command||Hive Tyrant • Broodlord|
|Elites||Hive Guard • Lictor • Malanthrope • Pyrovore • Ravener • Venomthrope • Tyranid Warrior/Tyranid Prime • Tyrant Guard • Zoanthrope/Neurothrope|
|Basic||Genestealer/Ymgarl Genestealer • Hormagaunt • Spinegaunt • Termagant • Ripper|
|Heavy||Biovore • Carnifex • Exocrine • Haruspex • Hierodule • Maleceptor • Mawloc • Tervigon • Toxicrene • Trygon/Trygon Prime • Tyrannofex • Dimachaeron • Sporocyst|
|Airborne||Gargoyle • Harpy • Harridan • Hive Crone • Shrike • Sky-Slasher • Tyrannocyte|
|Bio-Titans||Dominatrix • Hierophant|
|Spores||Mieotic Spore • Mycetic Spore • Spore Mine • Mucolid Spore|
|Unique Tyranids||Swarmlord • Death Leaper • Doom of Malan'tai • Old One Eye • Parasite of Mortrex • Red Terror|