|Bolt Weapons:||Bolt pistols - Boltguns - Storm bolters - Heavy Bolters - Psycannons - Hurricane Bolters - Vulcan Mega-bolters - Other bolt weapons|
The Storm Bolter is a compact, double-barreled version of the Boltgun. Resembling two boltguns attached side by side, the storm bolter is capable of withering fire without hindering maneuverability, granting the wielder enormous individual firepower. Storm bolters are popular with Space Marine forces, specifically in the hands of Terminators and as infantry defense on Rhinos.
- 1 Imperial Bolter designs
- 1.1 Adeptus Astartes
- 1.2 Adepta Sororitas
- 1.3 Other Boltguns used by Imperial or human factions and organisations
- 2 Ammunition types
- 3 See Also
- 4 Sources
Imperial Bolter designs
Other Boltguns used by Imperial or human factions and organisations
Mars-pattern storm bolter
Used by the Adeptus Custodes. This pattern of bolt weapons is named for the weaponsmiths of the Lastrum Core Clan of the Appolyne workshops of Terra. Other than being exemplars of their kind in terms of skill of fabrication, they would not be remarkable save for their uniquely powerful ammunition. Rather than the usual 'kraken' type bolts utilized by the wider sweep of the Legio Custodes, the artisans of the Lastrum clans hand manufacture only customised mass-reactive heliothermic warheads for their bolt shells. Once within their target, these burst into brief, but sun-hot incendiary detonations, incinerating their victims from within. These shells are uncommonly dense, requiring a far stronger charge to launch than common bolt shells, and only the Lastrum's uniquely sturdy construction for a weapon of their size can withstand the stresses of their repeated firing.
The sheer resources and artifice of these weapons are immense, and they could never hope to be mass produced to arm the Space Marine Legions, and even the output of entire generations of the Lastrum themselves can barely satisfy Legio Custodes' demands.
M33 MkIV Pintle-mounted Storm Bolter
M33 MkIV pintle-mounted storm bolter
More storm bolter designs
Due to the fact that in most cases specific storm bolter images are not labelled, unnamed designs are collected here, grouped by outward similarity.
- 1: Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader, pg. 122
- 2: Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition), pg. 99
- 3: Imperial Armour Volume Four - The Anphelion Project, pg. 124
- 4: Imperial Armour Volume Ten - The Badab War - Part Two
- 5: Imperial Armour Volume Nine - The Badab War - Part One, pg. 58
- 6: Dark Heresy: Ascension, pg. 140
- 7: Imperial Armour Volume Two - Second Edition: War Machines of the Adeptus Astartes, pg. 32
- 8: The Horus Heresy Book Seven pg.245