|This article is about the escort-class starship; for the primitive weapon, see Sword.|
Its laser-based weapons batteries provide equivalent fire power to those of the less reliable plasma-based alternatives, and are able to fire to both sides, or forward with full strength. Its engines are powerful, yet simple enough to be maintained by an artificer with minimal training. They are regarded as reliable even in extreme conditions.
Being an escort, the Sword is expected to come under fire, and so is designed with this in mind. Its bulkheads are thicker than would be expected, and the beams and supports that hold the ship together have redundant copies nearby, that will take the load if the primary beam or support fails. Due to this, the Sword can take more punishment than would be expected for a ship of its diminutive size.
Role and deployment
Escort class ships are meant to support heavier vessels during fights and cruises. It is exceptionally rare to see an Imperial battleship without at least two, if not more, Sword class ships by its side. Sword Class Frigates are often seen fighting alongside Space Marine formations. Because of their performances, they are also valued by Rogue Traders who usually convert them in order to have their merchant needs suited. Pirate fleets are known to operate Sword Frigates as well.
- Dimensions: 1.6 km long, 0.3 km abeam at fins approx.
- Mass: 6 megatonnes approx.
- Crew: 26,000 crew; approx.
- Accel: 4.5 gravities max sustainable acceleration.
- Blue Squadron
- Errant Squadron[3b]
- Invincis Squadron[3b]
- Omega Squadron
- The Nightstalkers[Needs Citation]
- Red Squadron
- Scadryn Squadron - (comprised of four Sword Frigates: VCS-6, VCS-7, VCS-8 and VCS-9), took part in The Denab Incident.[3a]
Notable Sword Frigates
- Achilles and its squadron
- Raven's Spear - Used by the Blood Ravens Chapter
- In Devout Abjuration - Used by the Mentors Chapter
- Heroic Endeavour
- Von Becken
- Triumph of Juno
- Scourge of Kalestos - Used by the Fulminators Chapter
- 1: Battlefleet Gothic Rulebook, pg. 113
- 2: Rogue Trader Rulebook, pg. 195
- 3: Imperial Armour Volume Three - The Taros Campaign
- 4: Execution Hour (Novel), [Needs Citation]
- 5: Warriors of Ultramar (Novel) — The Ultramarines Omnibus, Chapter Five, pg. 337
- 6: Games Workshop (last accessed October 4, 2012)
- 7: Battlefleet Gothic Magazine Issue 7, pgs. 18–23
- 8: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada (Video Game)
- 9: Vessels of Mars: Ships of the Adeptus Mechanicus, by Nate Montes, Robert Henderson and Ray Bell
- 10: Spear of the Emperor (Novel) - Chapter 1
- 11: White Dwarf July 2019 - Index Astartes: Blood Ravens
- 12: Dark Heresy Second Edition: Enemies Without, pg. 35
- 13: War Zone Charadon - Act II: The Book of Fire, pg. 38
|Adeptus Mechanius Fleet|
|Battleships||Ark Mechanicus • Emperor • Retribution • Oberon|
|Cruisers||Adeptus Mechanicus Cruiser • Lunar • Tyrant • Gothic • Dictator • War Barge|
|Light Cruisers||Adeptus Mechanicus Light Cruiser • Endeavor • Endurance • Defiant • Secutor • Lathe|
|Escorts||Firestorm • Nova • Gladius • Sword • Falchion • Cobra • Hunter|
|Attack Craft||Fury Interceptor • Starhawk Bomber • Shark Assault Boat|
|Transports/Landing Craft||Macro Transport • Heavy Transport • Lifter Barge • Conquesitus Ark • Coffin Ship • Titan Barque • Knight Transport • Invasion Lander • Drop-Vault • Drop-keep|
|Support Craft||Explorator Vessel • Eradication Ark • Goliath Class Factory Ship • Megiron Class Forge Vessel • Goliath Class Forge Tender • Capacitar Ship • Salvator Ark • Scavenger Scow|
|Planetary Aircraft||Avenger Strike Fighter • Lightning Fighter • Thunderbolt Fighter • Storm Eagle Gunship • Vulture Gunship • Archaeopter • Lysander Targeting Craft|