Tallarn Desert Raiders
As a barren desert planet with so little to offer the Imperium besides manpower, Tallarn has made exporting soldiers its primary contribution to mankind. History dictates the future, and Tallarn is no exception to this. Following the desecration of their homeworld during the Horus Heresy by the Iron Warriors that saw their once fertile Agri-World reduced to waste, the Tallarn have been forced to make use of Mechanised Armour and APC's in order to safely move their infantry across the barren wasteland of their homeworld. As a result, the Tallarn Desert Raiders are also well known in their use of armoured warfare and their tank crews are some of the most renowned in the Imperium.
Honing their skills on their homeworld, Tallarn are mobile guerrilla fighters, evasive and opportunistic. They are well known for their hard-fighting Sentinel squadrons and are masters of hit-and-run warfare. Their chief strength lies in their skill in guerrilla warfare, which makes use of various mounts as well as numerous Sentinel squadrons to remain highly mobile on the battlefield, harrying their opponents mercilessly before disappearing into the background. Noted marksmen, Tallarn forces employ a unique style of lasgun which is longer and more fluid in shape than the standard Imperial Guard issue.[Needs Citation]
Some Tallarn Rough Rider squadrons ride large alien mounts, called Mukaali. These desert-dwelling herbivores are originally indigenous to the vast equatorial deserts of Goru-Prime. Many Mukaali have been transported to other desert worlds, including Tallarn itself, because they are well adapted to arid environments.[Needs Citation] As well as infantry, artillery and armoured companies, it is not uncommon for Tallarn regiments to include one or more patrol companies (sometimes referred to as recon or long range companies). Tallarn Armored units emphasize the three doctrines of their homeworld: stealth, swiftness, and the killing blow.
The Tallarn use the title Duf'adar as opposed to "Sergeant" as the origin of the word sergeant means servant and they claim to be no man's servant.[2b]
Appearance and uniform
Owing to the harsh climate and the constant raging sandstorms of their homeworld, the Tallarn have a distinctive desert combat garb consisting of light, loose cottons, a wraparound head-scarf (known as a kefiya[2a])and canvas boots. They make use of curved knives.[Needs Citation]
Weapons and equipment
As special weapons, the Tallarn prefer the plasma gun and the missile launcher. Both weapons suit the Tallarn preference for hit and run attacks, and are prized for their ability to deliver a crippling blow as well as for their relative ease of transport.
Notable Tallarn Regiments
- Akhar Basin Massacre
- Battle for the Ruins of Esko's Moon
- Battle of Tallarn
- Chaemos Rebellion
- Fall of Medusa V
- Macharian Crusade
- Raid on Tamantra's Folly
- Spinward Front
- Taros Campaign
- Massacre at Big Toof River
- Battle of Dhormet
- The War of Beasts
Famous Tallarn Desert Raiders
- Al'rahem - A captain of the Tallarn 3rd.
- Prince Iban (Turk) Salid - Battalion Commander of the 892nd (and former Commander of the 82nd)[2a].
- General Akkir - won the Battle of the Broadsword, one of the most famous victories by Tallarn forces in a large engagement.
- General Hasso Ras-Aziz
- Colonel Al'Ter-Ay
- Colonel Nisri Dakar - Commander of the 892nd (and former Commander of the 351st) [2a]
- Colonel Izraell Honor Castillian - taken prisoner by Waaagh! Skyva, instrumental in its defeat.
- Susada Syn - Imperial Commander during the Horus Heresy
- 1: http://uk.games-workshop.com/imperialguard/tallarns/1/ (Tallarn Desert Raiders, by Rick Priestley)
- 2: Desert Raiders (Novel) by Lucien Soulban
- 3: Codex: Imperial Guard (5th Edition), pg. 17
- 4: Blood and Thunder (Graphic Novel) by Dan Abnett, Chapter Four
- 5: Only War Core Rulebook, pg. 54
- 6: White Dwarf 286 (UK), pg. 27
- Codex: Imperial Guard (3rd Edition, 2nd Codex), p. 30
- Imperial Armour: Volume One - Imperial Guard & Imperial Navy, pgs. 34, 39, 56, 58, 76, 85, 109, 115
- Imperial Armour: Volume Three - Taros Campaign
- Medusa V World wide Campaign
- Banesword Datasheet from Games Workshop
- The Traitor's Hand (Novel) by Sandy Mitchell, Chapter One