Tarellians, also called Tarellian Dog-Soldiers (or "dog soldiers"), are a minor reptilian species of alien found throughout much of the galaxy.
According to legends the Imperium virus-bombed a few of the Tarellians' worlds during the Emperor's Great Crusade. This has given the Tarellians a deep hatred of the Imperium, even 10 millennia later.
Name and physical description
Tarellians are called dog soldiers because of their long canine-like faces. They are narrow-waisted, broad shouldered and a bit shorter than most humans. Their fingers are described as clawed, and Tarellians are known to have knees and ribs.
Their language is called Tarellian and is described as snarling, growling and barking. They are also known to snap their jaws and show their teeth when threatening others.
The Tarellians are an honor-obsessed culture, undertaking long rituals of oath and respect. If these ceremonies are interrupted or disrespect is interpreted, they will quickly become violent.
Known locations and encounters
- They are known to have been present on Epsion Octarius.
- They once held the Mostar System, until their forces were defeated by the Brotherhood of a Thousand Chapter, in late M41.
- A Tarellian civilization was recently devoured by Hive Fleet Moloch during their advances from the galactic north and the Kiltor Sector.
- Tarellian Dog-Soldiers also fought as part of the xenos mercenaries of the Alpha Legion's Sons of the Hydra in their campaign to eradicate the Ultramarines' Successor Chapters guarding the rimward edge of the Maelstrom in late M41.[5a] They took part in the successful ground assault against the Marines Mordant's Fortress-Monastery the Bas-Silica on Vitrea Mundi.[5a] Here they fought alongside the Morralians, Galgs, Fra'al, Sslyth, and Eldar Outcasts, and were united with them by a shared seething hatred of humanity.[5a] The use of different species was chosen to provide maximum strategic flexibility, and their extremely varied combat styles made them very difficult for even the Marines' Veterans to defend against.[5a][5b]
- Genestealers are known to have started colonies among the Tarellians, though they have not proven to be an ideal host.
- A group of Tarellians attempted to join the Red Corsairs and were in the middle of pledging their oaths to Huron Blackheart when the Chaos Lord had more pressing matters. After telling them to stop the time-consuming ritual, the Tarellian's became enraged and attacked the Chaos Space Marines and were promptly slaughtered.
- The species first appeared in the 3rd edition rulebook (1998), where they are referred to as "Tarellian Dog-soldiers", as an example of "Other Dangerous Aliens".
- In Sons of the Hydra, Quetzel Carthach was said to have included xenos in his close circle of advisors.[5a] While Omizhar Vohk is the only confirmed advisor, Tarellians or members of the other xenos mercenaries Carthach used may have been included among them.
- 1: Codex: Tyranids (5th Edition), pg. 29
- 2: Warhammer 40,000 3rd Edition Rulebook, pg. 116
- 3: Storm of Damocles (Novel), Chapter 7
- 4: Kill Team (Novel), Chapter 6
- 5: Sons of the Hydra (Novel):
- 6: Codex: Genestealer Cults (8th Edition), pg. 14
- 7: Huron Blackheart: Master of the Maelstrom (Novel), Chapter 6