Telion has served under three successive Chapter Masters, and personally trained four of the current Ultramarines Captains. Despite having earned a position in the Honour Guard many times over, Telion has elected to remain with the Scouts of 10th Company, training the future warriors of the Chapter [1a].
Over three hundred years of service to the Ultramarines, Telion has become a master of all aspects of war. A superlative hand-to-hand combatant, Telion can defend himself from almost any attacker, while few opponents can defend themselves from his precise and controlled blows[1a].
Yet Telion is best known for his uncanny marksmanship, which is almost unmatched in the entirety of the Chapter's history. Using Bolter or Sniper rifle, he can deliver a killing shot far beyond the official range of either weapon. His most well-known exploit came during the Siege of Pallia, where Telion eliminated both the Commander and the Ethereal of the Tau invasion force with only two well-placed bolter shots, at extreme range[1a].
Much of Telion's skill is an innate gift, a quirky fusion between his latent ability and his geneseed, yet he is such a fine instructor that many raw recruits under his tutelage have become as skilled as the most experienced Captain. Thanks in large measure to him, the Ultramarines have a well-deserved reputation for fielding the finest marksmen of any Space Marine Chapter. Indeed, so famous is Telion that he has been frequently seconded to other Chapters with close ties to the Ultramarines, in order to pass on his teachings for the wider benefit of the Emperor's cause[1a].
Telion answered cries of help from the people of Calth when Old One Eye, a unique Tyranid Carnifex, was released from its frozen slumber in the ice and went on to slaughter its way across the planet. Telion tracked down Old One Eye, but found it difficult to pierce its armoured flanks. As Telion's warriors were cut to pieces by the beast, Telion made a one-in-a-million shot that hit the creature's ruined eye-socket, the same wound which had stopped its first rampage on Calth. Old One Eye was overcome with pain and stumbled into a cavernous ravine. Telion led a search for the body, but Old One Eye was never found[2a].
Telion was seconded to Captain Cato Sicarius's Second Company during its deployment to Black Reach in 855.M41.[1c] After the initial liberation of Ghospora Hive from the Orks of Waaagh! Zanzag, Telion was instrumental in tracking down the Warboss's hidden submarine base in an underwater cavern, where Sicarius launched the final assault of the campaign.
During the Bloodborn's Invasion of Ultramar in 854999.M41[1c], Telion led a force of sixty scouts from the 10th Company to Quintarn, where the 5th and 6th Companies under Captains Galenus and Epathus[5a] were battling against the forces of the Dark Mechanicus Adept Votheer Tark. Although Galenus demanded that Telion and his Scouts attach themselves to the main order of battle, Telion refused these demands, and Chaplain Cassius eventually convinced Galenus to let the Scouts go.[5b]
Telion faded into the desert with his men, invisibly watching over the Marines and striking without warning at the Chaos forces. Telion shrewdly perceived that Tark's single advantage as a warlord was his ability to manufacture war machines at an alarming rate, and replace his battlefield losses with impunity. Therefore, Telion led his Scouts on a series of missions to infiltrate and destroy Tark's Dark Mechanicus forges, including the largest and most important located atop the Maidens of Nestor. Without his manufacturing capability, Tark's forces were swiftly routed and destroyed by the superior tactics and training of the Ultramarines.[5c][5d]
During the Plague Wars that stained Ultramar, Telion was forced to lead the entire Scout Company to hold off a Death Guard attack upon the Chapter’s training academy. To the selfless Telion it was just another action born of duty, but the tale of his victory has become well known to every battle-brother of the Ultramarines.
Other Notable Actions
Awards and Commendations
Telion has been awarded at least forty battlefield commendations during his long career, including the Iron Skull, the Imperial Laurel, and a dozen Marksman's Honour badges (two of which were earned during the same campaign against the Tau at Pallia).[1a]
- "Forget all your preconceptions of war, of battle-lines clashing in the churned ground. Your mission is to attack before the foe even realises that the war has begun, to strike hard at those vital weaknesses that all armies possess, but that no commander will admit to. Under my tutelage you will learn how to seek out such fragilities and smite them with every weapon at your disposal. Master these duties and I will have nothing more to teach, and you will truly be a Space Marine."[1b]
- "A new Tyrant joined the fray and, in an eyeblink, the whole character of the swarm changed. The ravening berserker-spirit that had driven the Tyranids onto the ridge was gone as if it had never existed. Left in its place was something cannier and infinitely more worrisome. It was then that I knew the battle to be lost."
- on the Battle for Macragge[2a]
- 1: Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition)
- 2: Codex: Tyranids (5th Edition)
- 3: Assault on Black Reach (Novel) [Needs Citation]
- 4: The Chapter's Due (Novel), Chapter Thirteen, pgs. 137–138
- 5: Eye of Vengeance (Audio Book)
- 6: The Beast of Calth (Short Story)
- 7: Codex Supplement: Ultramarines (8th Edition), pg. 45