The Unnumbered Sons was a classification of Primaris Space Marine that was created by Lord Commander Guilliman during the formation of the Indomitus Crusade. They were officially known as the Unnumbered Sons of the Primarchs[1a] (sometimes - specifically, for example, Unnumbered Sons of Guilliman or Unnumbered Sons of Dorn) but some within their ranks referred to themselves as Greyshields.[1a]
- 1 Overview
- 2 Known Unnumbered Sons
- 3 Sources
Of the many thousands of Primaris Space Marines created by Archmagos Dominus Cawl, half were formed into new Chapters, from the so called Ultima Founding, while the rest were gathered into nine armies. These armies were descended from the nine loyalist gene-lines, who wore the livery of their founding Primarchs, and were then further organised into Chapter-sized formations. These armies were then made to fight in mixed gene-line squads, by Lord Commander Guilliman[1a], who hoped the different gene-lines would learn from each other and not repeat the misunderstandings that have occurred between Chapters in the past[1c]. Despite fighting in mixed units, the Unnumbered Sons were united by their prominent badges that were crossed with pale grey chevrons.[1a]
The Unnumbered Sons were a major force within the Indomitus Crusade, but as the Crusade progressed their strength dwindled; both from battle losses, as well as being separated from their groups on the orders of Lord Commander Guilliman. Those Primaris Space Marines that were separated from the Unnumbered Sons, were usually assigned by companies, squadrons and even smaller numbers, to understrength Chapters encountered by the Indomitus Crusade. However, sometimes Guilliman created whole new Chapters where they were needed, such as when important worlds needed to be defended from the Imperium's enemies. Sons of Guilliman could become Aurora Marines, Doom Eagles, etc., Sons of Dorn could become Black Templars, Imperial Fists, etc. and so on. However, by the time of the Battle of Raukos, only twenty thousand of the Unnumbered Sons remained within the Crusade[1a]. This proved to be the last battle the Unnumbered Sons would fight in though, as Lord Commander Guilliman ended the first phase of the Indomitus Crusade and ordered the disbandment of the group[1b]. Some of the Unnumbered Sons were then formed into new Chapters[1b], such as the Knights Cerulean, Praetors of Ultramar[1e] and the Wolfspear[1c]; while most would take the lessons they had learned from each other, to established Chapters descended from their Primarchs.[1b]
Known Unnumbered Sons
Genetic Line of Lion El'Jonson
- Gnaeus — Went on to join the Dark Angels and became an Intercessor.
- Hadariel — Went on to join the Dark Angels and became a Primaris Chaplain.
- Kalael — Inceptor.[1a]
Genetic Line of Jaghatai Khan
Genetic Line of Leman Russ
- Bjarni Arvisson — Inceptor Sergeant. Later became a founding member of the Wolfspear Chapter.[1a][1c]
- Gaius - Sergeant of Squad Lupus Six. Later becomes part of the Space Wolves.
Genetic Line of Rogal Dorn
- Racej Lucerne - Sergeant. Served in the 308th Torchbearer Fleet and discovered the truth of the Angevin Crusade.
- Aldred — Inceptor. Served in the same squad as Justinian.[1a]
Genetic Line of Sanguinius
- Anthus — Sergeant. Took part in the Devastation of Baal.
- Solus — Inceptor in Rusticus' squad.[1a]
Genetic Line of Ferrus Manus
Genetic Line of Roboute Guilliman
- Cordus — Inceptor. Served in the same squad as Justinian. KIA during the Battle of Raukos.[1a]
- Decimus Felix — Inceptor Lieutenant. He later became Lord Commander Guilliamn's Equerry during the Indomitus Crusade and was made the Eleventh Company Captain of the Ultramarines Chapter.[1c]
- Gerrundium — Inducted into the Ultramarines Chapter following the end of the Crusade. Later took part in the Plague Wars.[1d]
- Justinian Parris — Inceptor Sergeant who served under Sarkis.[1a] Later joined the Novamarines Chapter and took part in the Plague Wars.[1c]
- Quentus Carmagon — High ranking member. Later became the Third Captain of the Knights Cerulean Chapter.[1e]
- Ferren Areios — Went on to join the Ultramarines.
Genetic Lineage of Corvus Corax
- 1: Dark Imperium (Novel)
- 2: The Devastation of Baal (Novel), Chapter 29
- 3: The Test of Faith (Short Story)
- 4: Warhammer Community: Psychic Awakening: Consequences (Posted on 20/04/2020) (Last accessed on 23 April 2020)
- 5: Avenging Son (Novel) - Dramatis Personae
- 6: Warhammer Community: Warhammer Preview Online: Black Library (posted 12/5/2020 – Interview with Guy Haley (last accessed 12/5/2020)
- 7: The Wolftime (Novel) - Chapter 1
- 8: Throne of Light (Novel), Dramatis Personae