Valhallan Ice Warriors
The Valhallan Ice Warriors are the Imperial Guard Regiments from the Ice world of Valhalla. Valhallan soldiers are famous for their tenaciousness in holding their ground against even the most hopeless odds, and their ability to suffer the most appalling casualties without breaking.
Recruitment and Training
Like many of the Guard's most iconic regiments, the Valhallans are shaped by their unique homeworld and the history of their founding. Several millennia before M41, Valhalla was a verdant paradise, but a comet impact knocked the world out of orbit and radically altered its climate, transforming the planet into a frozen ball of ice, where virtually no plant or animal life can survive aboveground without protection. The small percentage of the planet's population were forced underground, into the caverns which offered the only protection from the surface cold, with little access to food or supplies.
As if to add insult to injury, the cataclysm was followed swiftly by an Ork invasion. Yet as poorly-prepared as they were, the Valhallans refused to surrender their homeworld. The grim campaign that followed pushed the Orks off-planet, and taught the Valhallans a means of surviving in their world's new climate.
True to this history, the Valhallans are stolid, unyielding soldiers, perfectly adapted to fighting in cold-weather environments. They also retain a special hatred for Orks, above all other xenos races, and are often deployed where their adeptness at fighting against greenskins can be put to good use.[Needs Citation]
The Ice Warriors are stoic and unwavering when on the defensive, resolutely holding their ground against fearful odds where other troops would consider it a good idea to flee. Enemies have often found that Valhallan defending forces need to be completely destroyed to capture the held ground. Valhallans are trained to fight in dense formations to support their morale. When on the offensive, Valhallans combine massed artillery barrages and infantry wave assaults. The morale of regiments is often backed up by attached Ministorum Priests.
All Valhallans are equipped with standard-issue lasguns and flak armour but certain Guardsmen are armed with special or heavy weapons. Their uniforms are made for colder climates, including heavy coats.
- 13th Black Crusade
- Battle for the Poretta system
- Battle of Eagle Gate
- Battle of Jurn
- Cressida Rebellion
- Gravalax Incident
- Hive Fleet Jormungandr
- Sallan's World Campaign — Sallan's World Offensive, Valhallan 8th Armoured Regiment's Baneblades campaigned in Sub-Arctic pine tundra.
- Scouring of Gnosis
- The War of Beasts on Vigilus
- War of Survival
- Argovon Campaign
Notable Valhallan Ice Warriors
- Lady General Jenit Sulla — Served as a junior officer with Commissar Cain and the Valhallan 597th, later was promoted.
- Colonel Regina Kasteen — Commanding officer of the 597th.[4a][4b]
- Commander Kubrik Chenkov.
- Commander Wladislaw Pietrov.[Needs Citation]
- Commissar Ciaphas Cain — although he wasn't born on Valhalla, Cain spent the majority of his early career serving with Valhallan regiments.[4a][4c]
- Gunner Ferik Jurgen — Commissar Cain's loyal aide and bodyguard; originally assigned to the Valhallan 12th Field Artillery, later accompanied Cain for the remainder of his career, including his assignment to the Valhallan 597th and his retirement to Perlia.[4a]
- Shambas - Officer[4d]
- Faril - Officer[4d]
- 1: Codex: Imperial Guard (5th Edition), pgs. 20–24
- 2: Imperial Armour - Imperial Vehicles for Warhammer 40,000, pg. 33
- 3: Fight or Flight (Short Story) — Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium (Omnibus)
- 4: For the Emperor (Novel) — Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium (Omnibus)
- 5: White Dwarf 457, pg. 57