The Vulcan Mega-bolter is a large weapon usually found mounted on Imperial Titans and other Super-Heavy Vehicles. The weapon consists of twin-linked, heavy caliber, multi-barrel rotating Bolt gun barrels capable of firing shells at 300 rounds per second, making it a highly effective anti-personnel weapon.[2b] The roar of the Vulcan while firing has earned it the nickname "laughter of the devil" amongst Titan crews.[2a]
The Vulcan is larger and more powerful than even Space Marine Heavy Bolters, each shell able to blast a meter-wide crater in stone and steel.[3a] Thus the Vulcan can be used to destroy buildings and light vehicles, although it lacks the penetrative power to defeat bunkers and other heavily-armoured targets.[2b] Still, the sheer force of continuous impacts from a Vulcan can even knock a Land Raider sideways. Imperial Titans have also been known to use Vulcans on each other when being assaulted by infantry: boarders are torn to pieces in a storm of bolt rounds while the friendly Titans suffer minor damage.[3b] If the Vulcan has one deficiency it is that it's highly inaccurate, although precision is not needed for a weapon which can fill several hundred square meters with exploding death.
The Mega-bolter is commonly found on as an arm-mounted weapon on the Warhound Scout Titan or on the carapace mounts of a Reaver and Warlord Battle Titan.[2c] The Imperator class titan can also carry one or more Vulcans on its carapace hard-points. The Imperial Guard Stormlord super-heavy tank also mounts a Vulcan mega-bolter as its main armament, as can a variant of the Macharius. They are also mentioned as being mounted on warships as point-defense weaponry.
- 1: Apocalypse, pg. 124–125
- 2: Imperial Armour Volume Six - The Siege of Vraks - Part Two
- 3: Savage Scars (Novel) by Andy Hoare
- 4: Soul Hunter (Novel) by Aaron Dembski-Bowden, pg. 244, [Needs Citation]
- 5: Storm of Iron (Novel) by Graham McNeill, pg. 127, [Needs Citation]
- 6: Deathwatch: Rites of Battle, pg. 186
- 7: Rogue Trader: Battlefleet Koronus, pg. 31
- 8: Apocalpse Datasheets: Emperor Battle Titans in Apocalypse
- 9: Apocalypse Reload, pg. 8
- 10: Forge World (last accessed 09 February 2016)