|Marine||Basic Data||Warband Symbol|
The Warp Ghosts are a mysterious entity similar to the loyalist Legion of the Damned. A warband of spectral Chaos Space Marines existing between both life and death, they give off an eerie green glow. Iskandar Khayon did not recognize pattern of their armour and ships, commenting that it looked futuristic compared to what even the Imperium at the time fielded. The origin of the Warp Ghosts and what they are remain unclear, any attempt to have them explain their origin or intent is met with them proclaiming it irrelevant.
The Warp Ghosts serve as the ferrymen of the Eye of Terror. If a price is paid, they will escort those within the Eye to safe exit routes such as the Cadian Gate. The Warp Ghosts were encountered by Abaddon the Despoiler and his fleet shortly before the First Black Crusade, escorting them out of the Eye after Abaddon agreed to give up his Sorcerers and the psyker children of his human slaves. These sacrifices were to become future members of the Warp Ghosts. In an act of apparent timetravel, the Warp Ghosts leader Saronos is in fact the Black Legion member Ashur-Kai.
Thee Warp Ghosts later allied themselves with Abaddon's 13th Black Crusade. Being only a chapter, they have far less marines and equipment compared to the Traitor Legions, but are renowned for their ferocity. The Warp Ghosts are an extremely mysterious chapter, even the Ordo Malleus has few picts of their existence. The Warp Ghosts operate a heavily armored contingent known as the Stygian Vanguard which is known to operate Typhon Heavy Siege Tanks.
- The Warp Ghosts have the same colour scheme as the Deathmongers, as seen in that warband's first appearance in Codex: Chaos Space Marines (4th Edition).[2b]. However, Codex: Chaos Space Marines (8th Edition) instead shows the Deathmongers wearing pure grey armour with copper trim.
- 1: Codex: Eye of Terror pg.16 "Unconfirmed sighting - Agripinaa system"
- 2: Codex: Chaos Space Marines (4th Edition)
- 3: Imperial Armour Volume Thirteen - War Machines of the Lost and the Damned pg. 62
- 4: Black Legion (Novel) Chapter 10
- 5: Codex: Chaos Space Marines (3rd Edition, 2nd Codex), pg. 76
- 6: Codex: Chaos Space Marines (8th Edition), pg. 53