Grenade launchers are relatively simple tubular weapons which can launch several different types of grenades using means such as compressed gas or an electromagnetic charge. Grenade launchers benefit from their ability to fire ordnance on an arching trajectory, allowing their shots to clear obstacles and lay down suppressive fire on unseen foes. While a variety of common grenade types can be fired by grenade launchers they are almost universally loaded with frag and krak grenades. Other types include anti-plant, blind, hallucinogenic, plasma, smoke, stun, virus and xeno-filament grenades.
Grenade launchers are a common weapon used by Imperial Guard infantry squads thanks to their ability to lob grenades greater distances and with more accuracy than can be thrown. Their primary duty is to lay down suppressive fire and destroy light vehicles and buildings. Other races also make use of grenade launchers. Among the Eldar the Aspect Warriors known as the Swooping Hawks use launchers strapped to their legs, while Harlequin Shadowseers make use of a launcher which fits on their shoulders. The Tau Pulse Carbine is also equipped with an underslung grenade launcher for launching EMP grenades.
- 1 Known Patterns
- 2 Gallery
- 3 See also
- 4 Sources
Auxiliary Grenade Launcher
Grenade Launcher underslung to the barrels of some Imperial weapons.
Astartes Grenade Launcher
Assault Grenade Launcher
Cadian pattern grenade launcher
The Cadian pattern grenade launcher is the standard launcher used by the Cadian Shock Troopers. This drum-fed weapon is capable of a relatively high rate of fire and carries twenty 40mm grenades, with the weapon pivoting forward to reload. Front and rear sights, the latter of which flips up and is notched for different ranges, assist the user in aiming the weapon. A wide-legged stance is required to fire the grenade launcher, as its recoil is comparable to that of a boltgun and liable to cause injury if improperly used.
Wrist-Mounted Grenade Launcher
Mezoa Grenade Launcher
Produced on the Forge World of Mezoa this launcher, despite its single-shot nature, is considered a superior weapon in the Koronus Expanse thanks to its superiority in range, accuracy and firing systems compared to other available weapons.
Voss pattern Grenade Launcher
This automatic grenade launcher carries six rounds in a revolving drum magazine. While a common weapon is its unpopular for its inaccuracy, although the MkV makes up for it in sheer firepower as it is capable of launching grenades almost as fast as the firer can pull the trigger. It is commonly used by Drop Regiments and other elite formations as a means of making up for their small numbers. The Elysian Drop Troops for example carry the Voss pattern grenade launcher.
Tauros Grenade Launcher
A fully automatic heavy grenade launcher used by the Imperial Guard.
Blackstar Cluster Launcher
- Auxiliary Grenade Launcher
- Disposable Grenade Launcher
- Rocket Propelled Grenade Launcher
- Grenade Harness
- Grenadier Gauntlet
- Missile Launcher
- 1: Warhammer 40,000: Wargear (2nd Edition), pg. 25
- 2: Imperial Munitorum Manual (Background Book), pg. 74
- 3: Dark Heresy Core Rulebook, pg. 136
- 4: Rogue Trader Core Rulebook, pg. 125
- 5: Imperial Armour Volume Four - The Anphelion Project, Pg. 136
- 6: Imperial Armour Volume Eleven - The Doom of Mymeara, pg. 101
- 7: Imperial Armour Volume Five - The Siege of Vraks - Part One, pg. 95
- 8: Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader, pg. 84
- 9: GW Website Mordian with Grenade Launcher
- 10: GW Website Imperial Guard Vostroyan with Grenade Launcher
- 11: GW Website Imperial Guard Storm Troopers with Flamer and Grenade Launcher
- 12: GW Website Steel Legion Grenade Launcher
- 13: Codex: Space Marines (6th Edition) (E-Book Edition) pg.413
- 14: Only War: Hammer of the Emperor, p. 114
- 15: The Horus Heresy Book Four - Conquest pg.154
- 17: Codex: Space Marines (8th Edition) pg.170
- 18: Warhammer Community: Your New Store Opening Miniature – Berek the Indomitable (posted March 4 2019) (last accessed 11/21/2019)
- 19: Codex: Space Marines (7th Edition) - armoury of the space marines
|Melee Weapons||Chainsword • Combat Knife • Hunting Lance • Power Weapon|
|One-Handed Weapons||Bolt Pistol • Laspistol • Hellpistol/Hotshot Laspistol • Plasma Pistol|
|Two-Handed Weapons||Lasgun • Flamer • Grenade Launcher • Hellgun/Hotshot Lasgun • Lascarbine • Long-Las • Meltagun • Plasma Gun • Shotgun • Sniper Rifle|
|Heavy Weapons||Autocannon • Heavy Bolter • Heavy Flamer • Heavy Stubber • Lascannon • Hotshot Volley Gun • Missile Launcher • Mortar • Ripper Gun • Grenadier Gauntlet|
|Grenades||Frag Grenade • Krak Grenade • Melta Bomb|