|Map||Basic Data||Planetary Image|
|Tithe Grade:||Exactis Extremis|
Vostroya swore allegiance to Mars during the Age of Strife. Since the Great Crusade, Vostroya has acted as an industrial world, supplying arms and ammunition to the armies of the Imperium. In the ten thousand years after the crusade, the Vostroyans have continued the same task, living and dying on the production lines and complying with the endless schedule of manufacturing and assembly.[4a]
During the Horus Heresy, Vostroya refused to provide regiments to the Emperor, preferring instead to reserve the population in the manufactoria blanketing the world. After the Heresy came to an end, the Vostroyans agreed to supply every first born son to serve in the Imperial Guard regiments, to atone for their sins and repay their debt.[4a]
Vostroya technically is neither a hive world nor a forge world. Instead, it falls somewhere in between (labelled an Industrial World). The birth and death rates of 9.3 billion inhabitants are very high, keeping the population figures fairly stable (taking into account that first-born sons are extremely numerous, providing a massive amount of soldiers for the founding and reinforcement of Imperial Guard regiments).[Needs Citation]
Vostroya has suffered many conflicts, including at least eighteen "Great Wars".
The landscape is extremely bleak - highly polluted. Life outside 'managed' zones is almost impossible. Animal and plant life is almost non-existent. Most food is imported.[Needs Citation]
There are seven large and distinct administrative zones/regions stretching around the planet's more temperate equatorial belt (e.g. The Magdan, Sohlsvodd, Muskha, etc). The far colder north and south are uninhabitable. Vostroya has one moon — Turtolsky.[Needs Citation]
Flora and Fauna
- Chemdog - descended from the canids brought by the first settlers.[3a]
- Lungspider - hive vermin.[3b]
- Rat - hive vermin.[3b]
Generally Vostroyan males sport a mustache (mustaches are viewed as a sign of adulthood and masculine virility in Vostroyan society). The importance of a mustache for Vostroyan men varies depending on the region they come from. The people of Muskha, for example, place extreme levels of importance on having a mustache. A man without one is considered to be openly rejecting his manhood.[Needs Citation]
- ossbohk-vyar: form of hand-to-hand combat (exists in at least 23 "forms")[1a][1b][1c]
- chevek: outsider, a non-Vostroyan (term is derogatory)
- rahzvod: a clear alcoholic drink, looks and tastes like vodka (there are many varieties depending on region of origin - some are slightly coloured by their ingredients)
- khek: swear word (adv khekking)
- ohxolosvennoy (ohx'): A thick and salty drink brewed like coffee, described as being made from powdered grox meat with stimms and preservatives added. Manufactored primarily on Vostroya, the Vostroyrian workers swear by it as it is the only thing that helps them through their double shifts.
- ushehk: seven string instrument played by a bow, the high pitched notes and small sizes might make it similar to a fiddle or violin.
- Shiny: slang for a fresh recruit from training into the Vostroyan Firstborn Regiments, a replacement.
- zadnik: derogatory term (noun)
- 1: Rebel Winter (Novel)
- 2: Shield of Baal: Leviathan — The Hammers of Ixoi
- 3: The Eye of Ezekiel (Novel)
- 4: Codex: Imperial Guard (5th Edition)