Chapter Approved was a regular column in White Dwarf in which officially approved background and rules information created by the Warhammer 40,000 design team - often the head designer directly - were published. It also included looks 'behind the scenes' at the design process, as well as trial rules and FAQs. These articles were collected into annual-style compilation books several times, also called Chapter Approved and subtitled as the 'Books of the Astronomicon'.
Originating in the first edition of WH40K, it resurfaced during Third Edition, and the tenure of Andy Chambers as the system's head designer (or the Warhammer 40,000 Overfiend, as the position was also then known). Readers of White Dwarf were invited to write in to him with requests for material to be featured; be it rule clarifications, unit discrepancies, a focus on certain background, or even suggest the creation of certain rules and units. These requests were met upon several occasions, with articles stating they were created in response to reader request. Other articles were created to act as player aids or designer soapboxes. The column ceased appearing in the transition to Fourth Edition, only to intermittently resurface some time later, without the 'frontperson' of the departed Andy Chambers.
Chapter Approved Articles
Chapter Approved Compilations
- Warhammer 40,000 Chapter Approved - The Book of the Astronomican (First Edition rules)
- Chapter Approved 2001 - (Third Edition rules)
- Chapter Approved 2003 - (Third Edition rules)
- Chapter Approved 2004 - (Third Edition rules}
- Chapter Approved 2017 - (Eighth Edition rules)
- Chapter Approved (2018) - (Eighth Edition rules)
- Chapter Approved 2019 - (Eighth Edition rules)