Space Marine Command Squad
|Ambiguous Term? This article is about the the Space Marine unit. For other uses of Command Squad, see Command Squad (disambiguation).|
- A Veteran Sergeant — Second in command to the Captain;
- An Apothecary — equipped with a Narthecium and Reductor;
- A Company Ancient — a standard bearer, charged with carrying the Company Banner;
- A Company Champion — an exceptional Close combat specialist, usually armed with a Power Weapon and Combat Shield;
- and one or two additional Marines, which are often armed with heavy ranged weapons.
It is not uncommon for Space Marine Command Squads to be mounted on Space Marine Bikes if the commander they are guarding is mounted on one. The command squad may be outfitted with specialist gear such as melta bombs or storm shields, and may take a dedicated transport such as a Rhino or Razorback. Marines selected for a Command Squad are chosen not only for their combat skills, but also an equal measure of tactical and strategic aptitude. A Captain and his Command Squad inevitably go where the fighting is thickest in any battle, so only the luckiest and most experienced warriors survive more than a few battles - and those that do have proven themselves beyond all doubt, and are often nominated to succeed their Captain in the event of his death[1a].
The exact nature and title of a Command Squad varies between Chapters. Some examples include:
- The Terrorblades of the Death Spectres;
- The Pyre Wardens of the Fire Lords;
- The Foeseekers of the Omega Marines;
- The Prognosticars of the Silver Skulls;[1a]
- The Wolf Guards of the Space Wolves;
- The Ravenwing Command Squad and Deathwing Command Squad of the Dark Angels;
Noteworthy Command Squads
- The Inferno Guard — Salamanders Third Company, Captain Ko'tan Kadai.
- "The Lions of Macragge" — Ultramarines Second Company, Captain Cato Sicarius[1b]
- "The Swords of Calth" — Ultramarines Fourth Company, Captain Uriel Ventris
- 1: Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition)
- 2: The Chapter's Due (Novel), Chapter Eight, pg. 106
- 3: Games Workshop
- 4: Fires of War (Short Story)