The Hunter Class is designed to fulfil the same role in the Space Marine Fleet that the Cobra Class Destroyer does in the Imperial Navy. Although available to all Space Marine chapters, the class is mainly used by the Dark Angels, due to their distrust of other sections of the Imperial hierarchy. The Dark Angels maintain large flotillas of Hunter class ships within their battlefleets.
The Hunter class is armed similarly to the Cobra, but is a little faster, allowing it to react quickly to openings the enemy provides. The vessel is equipped with torpedo tubes and a weapons battery. The same shield and turret array complement found on the Cobra class is fitted on a Hunter class. The Hunter is also more heavily armoured than a Cobra, providing it with a little more survivability in a combat situation.
Notable Hunter Class Destroyers
- Cthonian Scion - Sons of Horus (Heresy-era).
- Hera's Wrath - Ultramarines.
- Light of Iax - Ultramarines.[4a]
- Xenophon - Scythes of the Emperor.
- 1: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada (Book), pg. 24
- 2: Vessels of Mars: Ships of the Adeptus Mechanicus, by Nate Montes, Robert Henderson and Ray Bell
- 3: Sons of the Selenar (Novella), Chapter 4
- 4: Of Honour and Iron (Novel)
|Modern Space Marine Fleet|
|Cruisers||Strike Cruiser • Vanguard Class|
|Escorts||Gladius Class • Nova Class • Hunter Class • Rapid Strike Vessel|
|Attack Craft||Thunderhawk • Stormraven • Storm Eagle(Fire Raptor) • Storm Talon • Stormhawk • Overlord • Nephilim • Dark Talon • Stormfang • Stormwolf • Corvus Blackstar • Caestus Assault Ram|
|Transports||Thunderhawk Transporter • Landing Craft • Drop Pod|