The Dictator class is rebuilt Lunar Class Cruiser, with the lance decks rebuilt into flight decks for attack craft. The Dictator retains the Lunar's weapons batteries and torpedo capabilities, as well as the armoured prow. The shield, turret, and engines also remain unchanged.
It was originally designed as a stop-gap method to deliver the huge numbers of atmospheric craft that an opposed planetary landing needs. In these situations it is unusual to have an airfield under the control of the invaders, and therefore the Dictator fills the role of the airfield for the bombers and fighters supporting the landings.
Successive upgrades to the early Dictators meant that their role expanded from simply providing a low orbit "airfield", into being an attack craft carrier in its own right. The class found extensive use as convoy escorts during the Gothic War, and when the demand for attack craft in fleet actions outstripped the supply, the badly damaged Lunar class cruisers were stripped of their lance decks, and flight decks added instead, creating a new generation of Dictator class ships.
Notable Dictator Class Vessels
- Dimensions: 5.1 km long, 0.8 km abeam at fins approx.
- Mass: 29 megatonnes approx.
- Crew: 85,000 crew, 15,000 pilots and support personnel, approx.
- Accel: 2.5 gravities max sustainable acceleration.
- 1: Battlefleet Gothic Rulebook, pg. 112
- 2: Warp Storm, [Needs Citation]
- 3: Rogue Trader: Battlefleet Koronus, pg. 24
- 4: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada (Video Game)
- 5: Vessels of Mars: Ships of the Adeptus Mechanicus, by Nate Montes, Robert Henderson and Ray Bell