|This article is about the Tyranid genus; for the Imperial Guard officer, see Ibram Gaunt.|
The Gaunt species are smaller and less physically powerful than most other Tyranid organisms, but they are extraordinarily adaptable and always attack in large numbers. They are a fully mutable species, and some are grown with extra wings, adrenaline/venom sacs and even bizarre bio-weapon symbiotes, including the dreaded Spike Rifle. In battle, Gaunts are used as cheap expendable warriors who are thrown at the Tyranids' enemies in huge numbers.
There is a strange affinity between Gaunts and Tyranid Warriors that goes beyond the usual influence of the Hive Mind, particularly among Termagants. Gaunts will react instantly to an enemy that threatens their larger kin, and if separated from their Synapse Creature will often become confused. On such occasions the creature's self-preservation instinct can take over and it will abandon the fight in search of shelter. Some Gaunts, such as the Hormagaunt, are known to be able to reproduce independently and can thus field massive numbers even separated from the main Hive Fleet.
Available Bio-weapons mutations
Sometimes groups of Gaunts are gathered together to form a specialized brood. They are usually similar in some way, often by their armament. Some of these include:
- Impaler Broods
Impaler Broods are formed of up to 8 Gaunts armed with Spike Rifles.
- Strangler Broods
Strangler Broods are formed of up to 8 Gaunts armed with Stranglewebs.
Species of Gaunt
- Gargoyles are a species of gaunt that are are armed with a Fleshborer. They have also evolved a blinding venom attack and wings.
- The Hormagaunt is a gaunt species that is armed with Scything Talons. It has also evolved a remarkable leaping ability.
- The Spinegaunt is Gaunt species that is armed with Spinefists.
- The Termagant is the most numerous gaunt species. It is armed with a Fleshborer. The term "Termagant" is often used, in a broader sense, to mean any gaunt species that carries a ranged weapon symbiote.
- Nightgaunt is a winged gaunt species that is armed with Scything Talons and Implant Attack.
- Deathgaunt is gaunt species that is armed with Scything Talons, Toxin Sacs, and is capable of leaping.
There are many other sub-species of Gaunt which little is known, among them are:
- 1: Codex: Tyranids (5th Edition), pg. 70
- 2: Codex: Tyranids (3rd Edition), pg. 39
- 3: Codex: Tyranids (8th Edition), pg. 48
- Codex: Tyranids (4th Edition)
- Imperial Armour Volume Four - The Anphelion Project
- Strangler and Skewer (accessed 2007.05.30)
|Tyranid Planetary Forces|
|Command||Hive Tyrant • Broodlord • Tervigon • Norn-Queen|
|Elite||Hive Guard • Tyrant Guard • Lictor (Lictor Alpha) • Venomthrope • Zoanthrope (Neurothrope) • Pyrovore • Maleceptor • Toxicrene • Malanthrope • Dimachaeron|
|Basic||Tyranid Warrior (Tyranid Prime • Shrike) • Ravener (Ravener Alpha) • Genestealer (Ymgarl Genestealer) • Gaunt (Termagant • Hormagaunt • Spinegaunt) • Ripper (Sky-Slasher)|
|Heavy||Carnifex • Biovore • Haruspex • Cerebore • Trygon (Trygon Prime) • Mawloc • Tyrannofex • Exocrine • Dactylis • Malefactor • Hierodule • Sporocyst|
|Bio-Titans||Dominatrix • Hierophant • Viciator • Nautiloid • Vermis|
|Flyers||Gargoyle • Harpy • Harridan • Hive Crone • Tyrannocyte|
|Spores||Mieotic Spore • Mycetic Spore • Spore Mine • Mucolid Spore|
|Unique Tyranids||Swarmlord • Death Leaper • Doom of Malan'tai • Old One Eye • Parasite of Mortrex • Red Terror|