The Mortis Dreadnought is a rare Space Marine Dreadnought pattern used by the Dark Angels and their successor chapters. Its origins and why only the Unforgiven possess them are mysteries.[Needs Citation]
It is said that in the times of the Great Crusade, the Space Marine Legions deployed large assault spearheads made entirely of Dreadnoughts and this sub-type was a much needed source of dedicated fire support during those terrible campaigns. The Mortis Dreadnought comes in both Castaferrum Pattern and Contemptor Patterns.
In addition, the Mortis is equipped with the advanced Helical Targeting Array. This advanced system of augurs and combat-cogitators allows the Mortis to track and destroy even the swiftest moving foes with ease. However, due to the Helical's array delicacy and power consumption, the dreadnought is immobilized while the system is in operation.
Notable Mortis Dreadnoughts
Malach, Mortis Dreadnought from the Angels of Absolution
- Dark Angels Armoury
- Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought
- Hellfire Dreadnought — another ranged Dreadnought variant
- 1: Imperial Armour Volume Two - Space Marines and Forces of the Inquisition
- 2: Forge World
- 3: The Horus Heresy Book Two - Massacre, pg. 194
- 4: Imperial Armour Volume Two - Second Edition: War Machines of the Adeptus Astartes, pg. 168
- 5: The Horus Heresy Book One - Betrayal, pg. 99