The Atramentar were the finest warriors within the Legion with the best level of wargear and training. However while more disciplined than most Night Lords, they nonetheless had a fractious and rebellious streak. Thus only the strongest and most capable of leaders was able to command the Atramentar and earn their respect, something Sevatar eventually achieved. Unusually for many Space Marine Honour Guards, the Atramentar swore loyalty to Sevatar instead of their legion or even their primarch. But despite their difficult nature, Atramentar were superb shock troops when properly deployed.
During the Thramas Crusade the Night Lords Primarch Konrad Curze teleported across to the Dark Angels flagship Invincible Reason to exact revenge on the Dark Angels Primarch Lion El'Jonson and ordered Sevatar to take the Atramentar and join him.[1a] Sevatar complied and 100 of the Atramentar attacked the Invincible Reason, initially making strong progress until the Dark Angels fought back.[1e] Eventually, Curze retreated but by that time the Atramentar had suffered heavy losses.
Following his death of Sevatar, the Atramentar largely dissolved rather than follow Zso Sahaal, who succeeded Sevatar as the First Captain. Some, like Apothecary Talos Valcoran, put this down to Sahaal not being a Nostraman, but according to the Atramentar asked by Mercutian, a member of First Claw, 10th Company, it was mostly because the Atramentar felt no one could live up to Sevatar's reputation and he had formed the Atramentar into the brotherhood they were.
- Garadon - Served as bodyguard to the Exalted[3a]
- Malek - Served as bodyguard to the Exalted[3a]
- Thorion - Served as Commander of the Atramentar during the Thramas Crusade[1a]
- Vraal - Served as bodyguard to the Exalted[3b]
- Tal Vanek - Captured alongside Sevatar, Var Jahan and other Atramentar during the Thramas Crusade[1f]
- 1: Prince of Crows (Novella)
- 2: Void Stalker (Novel), Chapter 10
- 3: Soul Hunter (Novel)
- 4: Exemplary Battles of the Age of Darkness: Volume One, pg. 11-13